Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have an Oasis fully rigged for fishing and crabbing on the Oregon Coast:

but I have been exploring using my new i11s as a different fishing platform, just completed the final rigging and took it out yesterday near the Coos Bay bar.

it performed extremely well, I was out 8 hours mostly fishing along a submerged rock jetty, released several rock fish, retained 2 'blacks', and released a slightly undersize Ling, lost a larger Ling to a seal, even loaded up as a fishing platform, the i11s is fast, wind and tide/current have just a mild effect on it, and it is easy to move around on...I will soon be trying it in the ocean to see how it behaves in Oregon ocean conditions...cheers, roger

https://youtu.be/GaNQkRzi80I

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Right on Roger. I've had my i11s out fishing twice now. It's a fun boat, very comfortable, & I just love picking it up with one hand and putting it in the back of the pickup when I'm done.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Salty. wrote:
Right on Roger. I've had my i11s out fishing twice now. It's a fun boat, very comfortable, & I just love picking it up with one hand and putting it in the back of the pickup when I'm done.

exactly, I could not have launched where I did in the Oasis, but just needed to carry the i11s over some rocks to the sand, load up all the gear, and roll it to the water (I launched at low tide)...plus to get it into my small SUV, I just let the air out of the side chambers, then let just enough out of the center one to fold it in half (taking care to not fold the steering cable), and close the hatch...the hitch carrier (that supports my Oasis that I hang out the back to transport) helps when inflating the i11s.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great report Roger. I'm sure liking what your doing with this i11. I also live here in Oregon and am starting to realize from all your post how awesome this would be for crabbing. I do a lot of guided kayak fishing trips, but a lot of people lately are wanting to kayak crab. This sure would be an easier way to take groups out crabbing. I made need to add a few i11's to the fleet. Thanks for posting!
-Michael

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is my first post on here. That i11s has caught my eye as a smaller, easily transportable boat. I already have a 19 foot bass boat but have wanted on occasion to just be able to put something in my Honda and go to one of the smaller lakes near my house. Great pictures, very inspiring.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've liked these since I first seen them, don't know why, however, now I have a legitimate use for one. My concern is this , my size, I'm 6'3" 235 lbs and a wonder if I might be too large for this kayak. Can anybody chime in? I will try to demo one, hopefully one at the Hobie Tourney on KY Lake in a couple of weeks.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just purchased an i11s. 6'2", 34 inch inseam and 220 lbs.

I set it up with a lightweight milk crate with a couple of rod holder and space for my tackle and a 6-pack cooler for food and beverages.

I found that it works great with the pedals set in the farthest forward position and the seat in the rearmost position. I run it in the high position because that seems most comfortable to me.

It works flawlessly and I think the only mod I would make is a way to hold the rod while slow speed lake trolling. It works really well for that and, when you get a fish on, a quick flick of the rudder and a couple of more pedal strokes turns you to fight the fish head-on.

Unless you have really long legs, I can't see why it wouldn't work well for you.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good to hear, Wavehog, and Thanks!. I have a Hobie H Crate and plan to use it and keep accessories to a minimum. Looking to purchase one as I have storage issues when I take my Outback to the Alabama coast. I'm hoping to demo one first.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've set up tracs on the cooler and use a small Plano marine box for tackle. I often have to keep fish overnight (using block ice) and deal with processing the next day. What's nice about the i11s is the flat platform; you can fit a medium size cooler sideways and probably a larger one lengthwise in the back.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Y'all I am new to the i11 still waiting for a steering replacement update Kayak. However, I have a question for any i11 fishermen. I fish both rivers and coastal waters here in South Texas. I am used to anchoring my fishing kayak and was curious if any of you have experience Anchoring the Hobie i11 in rivers or coastal shallow waters ?
RogerDodger your utube and posts were instrumental in getting me aware of the utility of the i11 Hobie kayak.
Rj

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Our engineers and fishing team are working on an anchor trolley kit for the iSeries, but no ETA yet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

HStrech wrote:
Our engineers and fishing team are working on an anchor trolley kit for the iSeries, but no ETA yet.

Any word on an i series anchor trolley?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I know I'm coming in awful late on this thread, but . . . I'm intrigued by those rod holders.

Are those standard Hobie equipment that fits well on the Mirage i11s, or did you have to make serious mods?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Luckee wrote:
I know I'm coming in awful late on this thread, but . . . I'm intrigued by those rod holders.

Are those standard Hobie equipment that fits well on the Mirage i11s, or did you have to make serious mods?

I believe the rod holders are Scotty rocket tubes attached to his crate not the i11s. I glued a Scotty Glue-on mount to my i11s so I can use a rod holder positioned in front of the seat. https://tinyurl.com/yamzz3n9

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Luckee wrote:

both 'reason162' and I are using a non-Hobie 'box' to hold gear and mount rod holders and such, mine is a BlackPac and he just posted a video showing details of all his rigging:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh6owE5D2Y4

cheers, roger