Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quick first time use review. So far it is amazing. Great picture, features, ease of use. Took me a while to figure out how to use the down scan. When you're at the side scan screen bottom right you will see left/right push that and choose the down option. I was mad for about 3 hours lol thinking wtf is the down scan. Anyway picture is great. I just need more time figuring out what kind of fish I'm marking besides the not hungry type lol. Here are some pics of first trip. The bigger bass was caught on my crappie rod. That was fun.

[url=http://s215.photobucket.com/user/GetBent_08/media/ECDD7D4D-8555-409D-959B-84D[URL=http://s215.photobucket.com/user/GetBent_08/media/200F7340-89B4-4A68-A798-6F50D539F762_zpsipp4zrp2.jpg.html]Image[/url]7E22ABFC8_zpsvow72iey.jpg.html]Image[/URL]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looking good, Getbent. Soon I'll be trying a little fresh water fishing myself.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice setup! If you get a chance, could you post a photo of your transducer setup? Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Doc sorry I didn't reply sooner. Here is my current setup. I bought the new transducer cover another company made from Mariner sails with a 3 wire hull fitting. I should be able to have some halfwit review of it in the near future. My current setup is fine. The arm gets caught up on brush and seems the drag slows me down a bit. I still wouldn't give up the totalscan though. The new product may help it out. We will see. I have wasted $70 (total shipping, tax) on far worse things.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice! I just ordered the same transducer cover from Australia. Glad to hear you like your 7i. Did you get the model with the chip? I'm trying to decide if it is worth the extra $100. Do you see a lot better detail on the units that have the chips? Need to do more research on this. Thanks for posting!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

No chip for me. Not sure if it is worth it in a kayak as my areas to fish are limited. I can find the areas I need with the total scan.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

DocGlenn wrote:
Nice! I just ordered the same transducer cover from Australia. Glad to hear you like your 7i. Did you get the model with the chip? I'm trying to decide if it is worth the extra $100. Do you see a lot better detail on the units that have the chips? Need to do more research on this. Thanks for posting!

Yes, you can get $100 off the Navionics+ card until the end of July if you purchase it with the Lowrance Elite 5 or 7Ti...as well as a few other models.

If you want to know if you would benefit from the Navionics+ charts, go to the Navionics website and click on the WebApp. You can go to the areas you fish and see what the charts would look like. If you click on the little sonar icon in the lower left corner, you can toggle between the NauticalCharts and SonarCharts.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

10-4. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

GetBent,

Nice fish! I just installed my Ti Totalscan on my PA14 but don’t have the trailer registered yet so I haven’t put it in the water yet.

Although I have researched, I haven’t found a good explanation as to what you are seeing on the Sidescan screen. I understand the centerline separating the two sides. What does the dark area to the right and left of the centerline represent and what does the light area next to the dark represent? Are the long light colored “blips” that show up in the dark area fish? Are the rounder shapes rocks? There are a few dark blips in the light area, Can you identify what they are?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The dark area is the water column. The lighter area is the bottom. Lots of information on YouTube explaining how to understand side scan. Most of the videos are on humminbird but it will help you have a better idea. It looks confusing but after those videos it made it clear to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This is a quick example-
https://youtu.be/0vHOdp7UqeU

Check that video out and watch more like it. That is better than me trying to explain what I have on my graph.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, GB. I'll spend my evening watching YouTube.