Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I wanted to share the trip some good friends got together on in June. It was 8 days and 7 nights of fishing! While we had hoped that the trip would have been of epic proportions, the water being fed into the area from Lake Okeechobee really affected what we caught in the sound. It was a group of 10 (7 Pro Anglers and 3 Hobie Outbacks) on the first of many annual excursions. Heath Panganiban of Yak Tribe was gracious enough to sponsor us as well as take some great photos while we were out on the water. Many thanks to YakAttack and Black Creek Outfitters (Jacksonville) for sponsoring the trip as well. The trip was the brainchild of Ivy Harris and we can't thank him enough for all his hard work. Dan Carns (kayak fishing guide for Gulf Coast Kayaks) also provided invaluable help. Mike Shelton at Snook Hut Bait & Tackle (Cape Coral) provided great insight for the group upon our arrival.

We had 5 guys driving from New Orleans, 2 driving from Lake, Park (GA), one from Orlando and one flying in from D.C., so it was a lot of kayaks, gear, and planning. While we didn't catch the size and volume of fish that was hoped for, we had a great time, great food, good fellowship and tons of time on the water. We fished all around Pine Island from the northern end, western side out of Pineland, southern side by our house in St. James City as well as several areas out of Matlacha on the eastern side. We also fished the J.N. Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel Island. My son Chris and I hooked the only tarpon. Both were juveniles, but they weren't small. Mine spit the hook right next to the boat and Chris had his leader break off. Both fish gave us an aerial demonstration.

It all got started early on a Saturday morning.

The group posing for a group shot that first Saturday night!

Matt with a nice snook caught along the mangrov[img][img][/img][/img]es.

The night before planning and launching out of Pineland on the west side. It was a caravan of Hobie kayaks!

Wade fishing Blind Pass on the north side of Sanibel Island.

Pat with the largest snook caught at Blind Pass. A 35 incher!

Dougy and Ivy working the mangroves.

Chris #1 working the bait.

Mike and Matt on the north side.

There were a few times you could not avoid a quick building thunderstorm. It was rods down and hug the mangroves until it passed.

Chris and I fishing in the J.N. Ding Darling Refuge.

Pat with a nice red.

Me working hard at catching fish.

Ivy peddling back at sunset on the northern end of the island.

I hope everyone enjoyed the pictures. Cannot wait until the trip next year. Destination yet to be determined.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you for those pics.
I head down to the Ding, Blind Pass, PIS, Tarpon Bay, Cayo Costa about 3x a year, great fishing..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great pictures of the "Good Life"!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
Great pictures of the "Good Life"!

Doc,

We had a great time even though the fishing wasn't as "epic" as we had hoped. The water being dumped from Lake Okeechobee really affected the fishing. We could go back next year, but Louisiana was discussed as a possible location (especially since half the group is from Louisiana). But it could be a freshwater trip somewhere...lol! I guess the decision will be made by the end of the year.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass