Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am gonna copy and paste this here from another site that I posted this on Yesterday...

I purchased an Outback in April or May of O5.. I forget what month exactly.. I had a back surgery in June of that year and since then only used it twice.. The last time I used it was in the Keys in April of 2006. Every few hours I would have to come back out and drain the hull. I just figured that the water was getting in at some obvious area..At one trip on a return to shore the Yak became so unstable because of all the water sitting in it and the seas were in the 2 to 3 foot range. I took a spill about one hundred yards from the shore. Luckily I had the insight to place a loose weighted marker in the yak to mark the area of a spill if one should occur. I got all my gear. I was able to retrieve all but one pair of sun glasses from the bottom. I did not and have not taken it out since..Being that this was my first experience kayak fishing in the open water, I just chalked bailing water as a chore that went along with the sport.. This spring I have gotten the itch to go and chase some red fish in the creeks. I just started checking out some forums and hear about this crack thing... Would this be the reason my yak kept filling with water? If so what do I need to do?

Okay.. My wife just reminded me.. She says that I initaly thaught that the reason it took on water was becase I weighed too much.. I weigh in at 260lbs. This pic was taken the last time I use the kayak..I do believe that every time I draged it up to shore to empty there would probably be close to several gallons of water in the bottom of that thing. Notice how low it is sitting in the rear end.

This pic was taken one morning when I was going out for some yellow tails on that trip.. Notice how high the rear end is sitting compared to the pic above catching the small shark where I had been on the water a few hours.

Big difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:29 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
take it back to your dealer and let them take a look to see what is going on, it should not be leaking this much.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I stoped by the dealer this morning. Told them that what the problem was. They said that they would be back in touch with me after they contacted hobie. I really hope I do not get a bunch of run around.

I just went to the house and inspected the hull.. I could not see well last night in the garage so I looked this afternoon. Yep.. That thing is cracked like a nut and pretty obvious.. Dont know how I missed it before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just got off the phone with my dealer.. Said I should have a new ride in a couple weeks... Woohoo.. In the mean time she said that if I needed a ride I could use a store loaner. Hows that for customer service.. Woohoo..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Good customer service from both your dealer and Hobie. Hobies can't be beat.

Some of the '05 Outback hulls had a stability problem. All the '07s are supposed to be more stable, AND they have fixed the craking problem.

260 pounds won't come close to overloading the boat.