Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:55 am 
Site Admin

Hobie® Livewell XL is back on the market!

72020072 HOBIE LIVEWELL XL $419.00 (USA / USD 11-2016)

Following the initial release of the Livewell XL came a number of reports relating to faulty reed switches. With this discovery, we decided to take the Livewell XL off the market until a permanent solution could be made to fix this issue.

We’re happy to announce that Hobie® has reached a permanent solution in the form of a newly redesigned and thoroughly tested reed switch, and we are pleased to be putting the highly anticipated Livewell XL back on the market.

What caused the original reed switches to fail?

• Our magnetic reed switch incorporates two metal contacts within an inert gas-filled sealed glass tube. Due to a combination of issues, the glass tube was unpredictably cracking and causing the switch to lose function due to a loss of the gas and then corrosion of the contacts.

• The original switch housing was snug around the glass tube and potted with a hard epoxy, creating an environment where some deflection in the switch could cause the glass to crack.

What’s new about the redeveloped reed switches?

• In order to remedy the issue, we redesigned the housing with more internal space around the glass body and substantial ribs to limit possible deflection. We then potted the glass reed switch tube in a soft silicone sealant. The redesign of the switch housing prevents flex while also providing open space around the glass tube to prevent it from cracking should any flex occur. This enables the original intended benefit of a sealed contact that will not corrode. This is a huge improvement over other available marine switches on the market.

We have a high level of confidence that the new switch is significantly more durable, and capable of withstanding a wide variety of conditions over time.

Retrofit kits for consumers

If you’ve purchased a Livewell XL with its original reed switch, we are offering the newly redesigned reed switch along with everything needed to install it (72021053 Reed switch replacement kit ), free of charge via our warranty claim process. Contact your dealer.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My dealer has my Livewell XL on hold until I can make the trip to pick it up . It is the new updated version.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My dealer has my Livewell XL on hold until I can make the trip to pick it up . It is the new updated version.