Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just got this after I ordered a landing Gear for my 2017 PA14 Camo.

Allan

We just received a bulletin from Boonedox this morning in regards to the Landing Gear on a PA. There have been 2 reported cases of the Hull cracking on CAMO PA's when using the Landing Gear. Boonedox does have a larger backing plate that we can get to install on your kayak, but they do not know if this is going to solve this issue. You can contact Boonedox directly by email and ask them any questions you may have about this issue prior to us proceeding with the order.

Tim Parks would be the contact person and this is his email address. [email protected]

Sorry for this coming up, but would rather you be informed about the potential problem and let you decide if you would like to proceed or cancel your order. We will put the order on hold until we hear back from you.

Regards
Kerry
OEX/KFS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have heard reports that two Hobie Pro Angler owners have encountered structural hull issues after mounting a Boonedox Landing Gear to the top rail of their Hobie Pro Angler and using it. In an abundance of caution, we tested the thickness of our current inventory of both our Camo Pro Anglers and samples of each of the other colors of Pro Anglers, and confirmed that the Hobie Pro Anglers fall well within their specified strength tolerances and there is no compromise, no matter the color, when operated in accordance with the intended usage for which they were designed.

The use of unapproved aftermarket products may cause structural damage to your kayak and potentially void the warranty. A complete list of Hobie approved kayak accessories may be found at https://www.hobie.com/parts-and-accessories/.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So I'm ordering the landing gear from Austin Kayak, how will I get the larger plates for a PA14?

St. Clair Flatts
St. Clair River and Channels
3x Michigan Master Angler Awards

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

The dealer or Boonedox direct I suppose. This is not a Hobie product and actually one that we have discouraged against using due to the possible high loads at attachment fittings.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone know if the larger bracket has solved this issue? I just purchased a new 2017 Camo PA12 with my father. I really don't want him messing with a cart when the LG might be a better alternative. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

Get a dolly.

Easier than the Boonedox to use and more durable, easier to load (You barely have to lift the bow to get it under the boat) and better for the boat / won't damage it... and... you can get beach tires or hard. Much easier over sand, rocks or gravel of any kind

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

antadi wrote:
You do not have to tip your kayak on its side to put the Hobie scupper cart in. Here is how to do it> hopefully my video will post here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B56kRSx3zG4

If this is your video- you're a smart cookie. Hobie please take note and make them like this and sell a kit for models made before the updated . I don't use my cart because I hate laying it on its side. One reason I sold my PA14- love my Outback sure but this might have changed my mind a couple years ago. I have a bad back, this would have been very helpful. Sure I could probably rig something up but I like the materials y'all use. If this is something y'all might do, let us know- if not I'm going to lowes I suppose.