Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've spent the past 28 years living as a landshark in South Dakota but I am now moving to the east coast to live in Charlotte, NC and want to continue kayak fishing there inland and get on the big water. I am in need of advice regarding what kind of rods/reels to invest in for saltwater fishing. I am interested in both spinning and conventional reels (Left hand retrieve for conventional). I've had folks suggest Penn Squall (non level wind) and Abu Ambassadour 6500 for conventional. As for spinning, Penn Spinfisher V seems to be the most highly recommended so far. Any others worth looking into? How about rods?

I'm looking at going after anything that will bite worth eating plus bigger game such as tarpon and possible Mahi, etc. Thanks for any recommendations!

-2012 Seabird Design Expedition LV
-1987 Hobie 16
-2010 Stellar SES
-Hobie Fleet 291 Yankton, SD
-South Dakota Canoe and Kayak Association

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

When I got into kyak fishing a few years ago I bought a Penn Battle II 4000 reel with a 7' rod on the recommendation of my local tackle shop. It's works very well for fluke and football size bluefish. I'd make sure I get used to fishing from a yak before I invested in top end gear. I already lost one nice bass rod/reel to Davy Jones locker, and had to have the Penn serviced due to salt water getting inside of it.

Being in Charlotte you are very close to Lake Norman, which is a great lake for bass. My son moved down there 5 months ago, and has caught some nice size fish from the shore ! Make sure you check it out.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I fished freshwater my entire life with the exception of some saltwater fishing in Alaska when I was stationed there in the 80s. I got into Hobie kayak fishing in 2012 and soon learned that my freshwater gear (reels) would not hold up in saltwater, especially inshore fishing. I tell folks starting out to purchase a saltwater reel and not a freshwater reel. The saltwater reel can be used in both fresh and salt.

I don't own a bait caster reel. Fished bass tournaments for decades and have always loved spinning reels. The previous poster mentioned a Penn Battle II. I have 2 of them in the 4000 size and love them. Great durable reel with 18.5 pounds of drag that will last a long time. They are my go to when I am throwing a heavy lure. I use them when fishing for bass with 7-12 inch shiners under a large float.

I have 2 of the Penn Spinfisher V reels as well, but do not fish regularly with them. I use them when fishing for large fish in saltwater. I have the 4500 size and they are rock solid and you can submerge them in saltwater without hurting the reels.

Lately I have been doing more saltwater inshore fishing. I like to fish top water and twitch/jerk baits primarily. I found the Battle II 4000 reels were just a little heavy for my at my age when twithcing/walking the dog with a top water for 6-7 hours. My wrist would be sore at the end of the day. I ended up getting 2 Shimano Sedona 3000 spinning reels. They weigh under 9 ounces and have 18 pounds of drag. It's amazing how much a lighter reel will feel! My wrists do not get sore anymore.

If you're looking for an economical spinning reel that can be used in fresh and saltwater, the Shimano Sienna series is perfect. You can find them for $20 - $30 depending on whether they are on sale. They retail for $30. Academy Sports carries them in the store. 4 ball bearings and saltwater approved. They come in 2500 and 4000 sizes.

As far as the fishing rod, that usually boils down to what type of fishing you are doing and how much action you need and the line/lure weight. I fish primarily with Abu Garcia Vendetta and Veritas rods, but on my Shimano Sedona reels I use 2 6.5 foot Gander Mountain Vortex rods. The Vortex rods go on sale a lot at Gander Mountain for $20 each. They normally sell for $60. They are perfect for the 2500 series reels and give me a very light weight setup. I managed to catch a 24 inch red drum Saturday in the Gulf on the setup and it worked flawless.

Hope this helps you out!

Steve

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My suggestion: KastKing Kodiak

www.kastking.com

Hugo Dias
K2FISH Hobie Kayak Fishing Team Portugal
http://facebook.com/hugo.dias.martelo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm not sure how good this Shimano is, but at this price I pulled the trigger on a 4000.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/shi ... 000fdspree

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I like the Shimano Teramar Southeast 7'0" MH XF with a Shimano Stradic 4000. Great for striped bass, flounder, bluefish and all around smaller game. I use it jigging, topwater, etc. For live bait I use an 8' heavy spinning combo. Or a Lever drag accurate conventional.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

sdwalleye wrote:
Any others worth looking into? How about rods?

For spinners you can't go wrong with Shimano or Daiwa. For my money the new Daiwa BG is bulletproof, excellent value, and has tons of "trickle down" tech from their flagship models. Conventional reels the choices broaden, but a basic/value/performance option is the 300 or 500 sized Shimano Tekota.

The new Tranx 300/400 is on my list, but it doesn't have a clicker (I never fish with bait, so no big deal). The low-profile reels in the 300/400 size from Daiwa (Lexa) or Abu (Toro) will all outperform similarly priced round reels imo, esp if you need to launch lures. They tend to have stronger/smoother drag systems as well.

As for rods, options are endless. For general saltwater durability/versatility, I'm a big fan of Shimano's Terez line. The Trevala series is also a common boat rod used for multiple species, but they are shorter sticks.

Terez 7'MH + Daiwa BG 3k or 4k would do you nicely if you're only going out with one setup.

PS. No matter what, do NOT waste money on garbage like Kastking. Absolute garbage.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When I started kayak fishing in 2005, I bought 4000 series Shimano Sahara / Spheros reels and medium rods in 7 foot lengths, usually UglyStik. But I found they were a touch heavy for continuous casting inshore salt. I moved down to 3000 series reels (lighter - the 3000 hold more line for the same weight as a 2500) and medium fast rods in 7' or shorter. I prefer the shorter rod butts - easier to maneuver in the kayak. But, I do stick with Shimano for rods and reels. High quality and good selection. The Sahara 3000 reel is a great deal. $80. Very smooth and will last for years. You can spend more money, but the difference is nominal to me. I also like the Symmetre, but I think Shimano phased out that model. Shimano makes a whole series of inshore rods for any budget. 15-20 lb braided line and 20-30 lb fluoro leader. I can cast for trout or reds all days with these...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I rediscovered saltwater fishing last year since moving to KY from Florida 32 years ago and have burning the road up to Alabama ever since. Anyway I bought 2 Battle II oufits, 2500 and 3000 on sale and I like the reels, haven't used the rods, I have paired them with some of my Dobyns Rods. My buddies in Alabama recommend the Spinfisher reels beacause they do not have the holes in the spools to collect sand. I already had a Sedona 4000 and it works fine, but have found it larger than I want for inshore, but have it when I need it. Other great choices, but the Battles work for me, I'm even using them up here on bass.