Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all. Im new to the family, as I just picked up a new outback and I love it! Im currently in the search for a fish finder and have a few questions. Im going to apologise now as I know that it sometimes bothersome when a new user comes in as begins asking all the same questions.

I've been researching batteries, finders, and chargers and theres a few things I get seem to find answers for.

1) While I see that the cabela's 12 volt batteries are the best bang for their buck, there is little information on the package or site. Are these batteries gel, acid, or agm?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... 6CQ_st%3Db

2) Since the charger that comes with the battery isnt well rated. How will the Harbor Freight maintainer and float charger work with the cabela's 12 volt? Would this be best kept on the battery always when not in use?

http://m.harborfreight.com/12-volt-delu ... 62813.html

3) The fish finder I'm looking at is the Garmin 43CV with Lakevu HD. Im looking for placement options on the outback. When I search all I find is discussions about the transducer. Does anyone have opinions about the device and or photos of placement on an outback?

Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Cabella's battery is called a VRLA battery....valve regulated lead acid.....it's a sealed lead acid battery...aka SLA.

I can't vouch for the Harbor Freight, 0.7 amp charger, but for my money the Schumacher, #SEM-1562A, 1.5amp battery maintainer/trickle charger is a superior charger for around $27 at Walmart or Amazon.
This charger can be left on a battery indefinitely owing to the smart chip, that monitors the state of the battery in the charge and automatic trickle modes.

I have 3 of these units and they are reliable over the last 4 years.
Tight lines 8)

The attached photo is my old Outback taken in 2013. You can see the Humminbird mounted on the right side, within easy reach for viewing and adjusting the screen.
Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Awesome thanks for the response!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ill look into the schumacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mounting a 1" RAM ball diamond base (part number 72023044) in the tray just in front of the cup holder and combining with RAM fishfinder mount 72023052 is your best option. This will allow you to remove the FF mount and head unit from the RAM base and leave clean rails for easy roof topping.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is a lightweight battery I've moved to:

http://HiseNook-5-Kit-Waterproof-Electr ... SwdU1W-aXJ

less than half the weight lead batteries, fits in my hobie battery holder and runs a Lowrance Hook 4