Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: kayak anchor
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Im looking to get an anchor for my Outback for use when fishing. I'll be using an anchor trolly. Im seeing differant weights offered, is 3.5 pounds to much?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: kayak anchor
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The only anchor that is too big is:
1) Too heavy for you to pull up
2) Too large to store on your vessel

Other than that you can go as big as you like. Personally I went with a red PWC grappling hook style for my TI. I find it holds just fine. Whether or not your going to use chain/rode or just rode, and the scope make a difference too.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If there is so much current that your anchor won't hold when your anchor line is three times longer than the depth of the water (1:3 scope), rather than getting a bigger anchor, you should consider whether it is safe to be anchoring your kayak in that much current. Things can go bad very quickly if you anchor in current, and if your kayak gets tipped over by the current you can get swept away from it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Provided you have the right anchor for the bottom type, a scope of up to 10 to 1 is not excessive. Weight only needs to be sufficient to take the anchor to the bottom - from there is the anchor shape and position that holds you in place. More weight is rarely the answer.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have a TI (way bigger boat), and are divers and snorklers mostly so it's pretty important to have a good anchor. It's mostly sand bottom in the keys and we found the small grappling type anchors that most kayak owners use don't hold well in sand, we even tried two of them for a while. What we ended up with is a 3.5 lb guardian G4 anchor that we picked up at West Marine. I didn't put a chain rode on mine (didn't want to cut my boat up with a heavy chain), plus I have an automatic anchor system with an anchor line spool with 150' of 3/8" line. We also have a small grapple anchor, we park just offshore a lot at sand bars with our powerboat friends and you kind of need two to keep the boat from drifting into other boats, (they get upset, (lol), Without the chain rode you have to have the scope a little longer (like 5/1 or more). Sometimes we are at places a couple weeks at a time, and often just park the boat just offshore anchored every night, (if the resort doesn't have docks or mooring balls).

If I ever do it again I will likely use much smaller rope (like 1/4"), 150 ft of 3/8" rope completely covers the boat piled in a big pile and gets tangled up easily.
When not in use our anchor is suspended over the rudder in the back of the boat, I just use the handy rudder bungy that came with the boat, to keep it from swinging around. We never remove it, it just lives there.
FE

This is our setup, when diving and snorkeling you have to raise and lower the anchor sometimes 10-12 times as the divers move around, and when spear fishing you have about 30 minutes before you have to move on from an area, or your surrounded by sharks, so we use the anchor a lot.

Obviously this setup is not for everyone. You can see the anchor in this pick. The anchor is never removed from the boat, just lives back there, saves a lot of rigging and messing around time.

Just ideas
FE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The longer line and putting a length of chain above it is to ensure anchor lays as flat as possible and not sitting upright. This helps the claws dig in.

Have a breakaway system to pull it up backwards if it snags up. eg tie to bottom and run through a zip tie to top. Haul on rope at an angle tie breaks and anchor comes up backwards.

I have numerous anchors(0.7kg/1.5kg/2.5kg) which are attached to line set up with shackles so I can swap out anchor according to location. Dont want to be hauling high tide flow anchor around in easy locations.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm constructing a haul out system for our TI to use on the Maine Island Trail. (2' cedar 2x6 with large routed-edge holes on each end. One end attaches to the anchor line while the other has a 150' long loop running through it and attached to the TI) Might want as much as 150 feet of leader x 2 to enable pulling the boat in to shore and then back out to the anchor/floating (wood) block. I'm wondering if 1/8" braided cord such as this one will be sufficient given that I'll be (hopefully) out of any strong current.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/new-engl ... 71_001_516

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great idea

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

BobAgain wrote:
I'm constructing a haul out system for our TI to use on the Maine Island Trail. (2' cedar 2x6 with large routed-edge holes on each end. One end attaches to the anchor line while the other has a 150' long loop running through it and attached to the TI) Might want as much as 150 feet of leader x 2 to enable pulling the boat in to shore and then back out to the anchor/floating (wood) block. I'm wondering if 1/8" braided cord such as this one will be sufficient given that I'll be (hopefully) out of any strong current.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/new-engl ... 71_001_516

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Bob did you ever get this finished? Since you are up here now, is Love to try it out!!

Did I get you this pic of our ti's up on the bar?Image

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

2015 Tandem Island "Supernova"
2014 Lund SSV18