Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fish bag
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Outback. Any recommendations on a fish bag?
Thanks
Michael

Post subject: Re: Fish bag
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What type of fish? Tried using them for trout and redfish. Size ranges between 15-28" I just use a stringer now. The bag gets hot and one more thing to clean. I just use a nice stringer. While moving from spot to spot I will just toss them in my lap or back well.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a 45 can cooler bag from Artic Zone. https://arcticzone.com/catalog/product/ ... ezer-tote/ There are lots of other brands available as well. You should be able to find something like this for $10-$20.I fish for Trout and Flounder mainly with an occasional Redfish. I don't keep anything over 24 inches and I usually only keep 4-5 fish at a time. I will put either 2-3 blue ice containers or 2-3 12-16 bottles of frozen water. It fits in my crate and I can generally get a year or two out of one before it starts "weeping" through the bottom. This probably won't work if you need one for large fish.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

As soon as I catch a fish which I’m going to keep, I put it on ice in a cooler or a catch bag. When possible I bleed and/or gut it first. This keeps the meat in excellent condition. Leaving fish hanging in the water on a stringer will damage the quality of the meat, and in some areas may attract sharks or seals.

I have a catch cooler from Fishbags which fits very well in the rear cargo area of my Revolution. There are pictures of Fishbag’s products on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/88080475532111 ... =3&theater, and you can contact them at [email protected], but they are kind of in the stone age as far as internet marketing, and I can longer find their webpage, which had detailed information about their products and ordering information. The design and construction of these bags is very similar to that of the Reliable/Hobie catch bags, but they make a bag which is between the size of the Hobie Large and the Hobie Medium bag which is just right for the rear cargo area of a Revolution or Outback.

Another option is to strap a hardside cooler firmly in the rear cargo area with nylon straps, with a bungie cord over the top so you won’t lose your ice and fish if you dump. A hardside cooler will have a higher wind profile, and won’t handle bigger fish, but you can really pile up fish in a cooler. If you get a cooler with wheels on the back and remove the wheels, the indented area in the bottom rear end of the cooler can extend back over the rear hatch of your kayak, which will allow you to fit a longer cooler in your rear cargo area.

I put my ice and fish in a plastic bag in my cooler or catch bag to minimize cleanup issues.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie's medium sized fish bag (part no. 72020113) is a nice fit for the Outback, and even fits inside the front cargo hatch.

http://www.hobiefishing.com/accessories/fish-bags-coolers/

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mjwkmg wrote:
I have a Outback. Any recommendations on a fish bag?
Thanks
Michael

icemule pro catch cooler

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hello everyone. I purchased the hobie med catch bag

I used it for the first time over the weekend. Place it into the front storage of the outback. I caught two salmon which I toss in there with ice. I removed the bag and put it in the back of the car thinking it is waterproof. It seem it was leaking out of the bottom seam...is that normal? aren't they suppose to be leakproof?

any suggestion or input? before contacting the seller. Maybe I have a faulty bag?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

They aren't waterproof. That isn't a problem when they're in your kayak, but that is a problem when they're in your vehicle. Transfer your fish and ice to a cooler for the drive home, and put the fish bag in a plastic bag. Or buy a shallow plastic storage box which is big enough for the fish bag, and put the fish bag into the box for the drive home.

I put my ice and fish in a heavy garbage bag inside my fish bag in order to reduce the cleanup issues. The teeth and fins of some fish can poke holes in the garbage bag, but the bag still reduces the amount of cleanup required after a trip.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

How much water? Could it be condensation?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Where the velcro patch is at the end of the zippers is likely where the water leaked from. The bottom of the bag shouldn't leak.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks for the response.

As for how much water, I placed two bag of cooler shock bag (reusable ice pack) and maybe half a bag of ice?

it definitely leaked out of the seams. I placed it flat in the back of my truck and when I lift it up, it was the shape of the cooler bag. It didn't leak much but underneath was pretty wet.

I had an ice mule fish bag with me as well but opt to use the hobie fish bag to transport. I guess I won't be doing that again. Lesson learn but I agree with putting it in trashbag so the slim and whatever is somewhat contain.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Costco has some great, insulated, lined bags ($7.99), blue, back near the TP section. The internal liner is comparable to the Hobie bag, it has strap handles and a shoulder strap, is rectangular in format, and has a zipper that will leak like a sieve, but then there's the price.... It's big enough to handle a couple of big salmon or a flattie.