Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Revolution vs Outback
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I can't decide on revo 13 or Outback. I will be fishing in gulf mostly trolling. Typically as much as a mile or 2 offshore. I will be car top transporting sometimes 8+ hrs. I have used a Quest 13 a lot and it feels stable enough. Revo is basically same hull but some say less stable feeling with mirage since legs do not lock you in as much as when paddling. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Revo is a bit easier to car top compared to the Outback, but once you get a system down the Outback really isn't too difficult to top. The Revo is faster than the Outback and the Outback is more stable with more storage features/trays. In my opinion, if the bit of extra weight in the Outback is a non-issue I would rather fish it. Again, this is just my opinion. The stability and extra space in the Outback are the deciding factors for me. That being said, you can always add a sidekick ama kit to a Revo and have all the stability you'd ever need.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

pedalling is inherently less stable than paddling, especially for paddlers with good paddle skills to fully utilise bracing and other control stokes. It feels unnatural to have your hands down by your side, and feet raised, while on a wobbling platform. Hence most pedal yaks are wider with higher primary stability. Its probably the reason most fishos dont opt for the revo 16 as its pushing it for most, yet considered a barge by sea kayakers

That said after a while you will get used to it. I went from quest to adventure/revo 16. Still choose to paddle it at times with the aid of thigh braces.

Its following sees and beach landings that make you feel most uneasy in pedal yaks.

Also dont underestimate the loss in real estate a mirage drive will make comparing quest to revo, as well as arranging rod holders to avoid pedals hitting rod butts.

A revo will be closer to the kayak feel, and outback closer to pedal boat feeling

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:46 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

You probably won't have any stability issues with the Revo 13 (especially if you're sitting down).

It also rides through wind, chop and swells better than the Outback (much less hull slapping and spray). Sometimes they can kick up suddenly with an approaching thunderstorm.

On the other hand, the Outback has more primary stability and the trays are really handy for some users.

Either way, I recommend Turbofins and the large rudder to maximize your performance and handling. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Turbo fins and the larger rudder made a major difference on my Revo13. It cuts thru waves like a knife thru butter, but you need to stay alert head into them. I've been out when big party boats go steaming past me, with zero regard for their wake. As long as I face into the wake, I'm fine. I've never been in an Outback, so I can't compare the two, but I would not stand up in my Revo out on the water.......

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

riverman wrote:
I can't decide on revo 13 or Outback. I will be fishing in gulf mostly trolling. Typically as much as a mile or 2 offshore. I will be car top transporting sometimes 8+ hrs. I have used a Quest 13 a lot and it feels stable enough. Revo is basically same hull but some say less stable feeling with mirage since legs do not lock you in as much as when paddling. Any thoughts?

Sounds like you are already used to the limitations of storage inherent in Revo/Quest hulls, and that's the first hurdle. I often see Outback and PA anglers bringing everything but the kitchen sink with them because they are so confident in the space and stability. In a Revo, if you are used to the two molded-in rod holders and use a crate with extra rod holders, then you have all the storage you really need.

Like your Quest, the Revo is easier to car top than the Outback based on weight alone. This is a non-issue if you have a truck/trailer or get used to lifting the additional 10 lbs overhead.

Stability-wise, the Revo is plenty stable, but the Outback is more so, not gonna lie. So if you ever want to stand and fish, go Outback.

The difference in speed between the two, especially with Turbo fins, is noticeable. I have outrun PAs and Outbacks with my Revo when the weather turned to snot and we were being chased by squalls. Roadrunner is right, a revo cuts through wind and waves where an outback bounces through it.

So yeah, I favor the Revo, but nothing wrong with either kayak. Choose whichever suits your needs more. I still wish I had one of each.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Decided to weigh in with my thoughts. I've had three Outbacks. Never had a regret. I upgraded, if my memory serves, first for the transducer recess and then for the vantage seat. I've peddled and paddled Revolutions a few times. Nobody ever questions the speed of the Revolution, whether peddling or paddling. It runs circles around an Outback. However, speed has never been my priority. Stability and fishing comfort are my priorities. I have never come close to flipping my Outback. I keep my Boga Grip (with float) in a tray and lures in another tray (for quick changes and also useful for drying the lures prior to returning to the tackle box). The Outback comes with four rod holders. Two rods, landing net, and sometimes a night light makes use of all four holders. I know you've mentioned you preference for inshore fishing. Although I live 19 miles from the ocean in southern Delaware, I mostly freshwater fish in the northern states because from my canoeing days, I developed a love for wilderness camping. On numerous occasions, I have peddled my Outback 14 miles towing a small PakBoat to hold my gear. Therefore, I do not believe a couple of miles into the gulf with an Outback would present a significant problem, even against the current. That being said, I'm sure you'll be satisfied whichever boat you decide is for you. BTW, I just ordered a Quest 13 for rocky river and shallow water situations.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some people do complain of wave/hull slap on the outback being annoying. But thats probably just a personal gripe of some people.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I own both an outback and a Revo, both 2015's. I like both and use both but to me the biggest difference comes when it's time to load the kayak in the truck. I know that on paper the Outback is less than 10 pounds heavier but it feels more like 25 when I have to lift to put in back of truck. I always take the Revo if it is a difficult launch like a ledge to pull up over or a long way to pull.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I too have both.

The Revo is a bit faster. It is not 2x faster. My wife and I peddle 2.5 miles to breakfast on occasion. The Revo driver can get there probably 4 to 5 minutes quicker when both going a normal pace.

Both are plenty stable in terms of accidentally falling out. However, I can't stand up comfortably in the Revo (say to stretch or take a leak). It can be done in calm waters, but I don't trust my balance and risk potentially dunking myself and gear. I can stand in the Outback comfortably, but I still don't do it for long periods. You still feel like you're standing in a kayak. i've never been in a PA but I understand you can just about walk around on them. That's not happening on an Outback or Revo.

The Outback is a bit heavier. I trailer both, so it's not really a problem for me.

The hull slap on the Outback has never bothered me in the waters I fish (Gulf and Bay). I can't even remember noticing it.