Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I fish mostly from a nicely-outfitted PA14. But sometimes for a quick trip I'd like to use my wife's Outback. The goal is to rig hers using nothing but quickly removable gear and as few holes as possible. I chose Hobie part 72020074 (ROD HOLDER EXTENSION / ADJ) for rod holders since these make the molded-in rod holders (MIRH) usable. They do require attaching straps to the hull to prevent rotation of the rod in the MIRH when trolling. I can probably attach the straps to existing padeyes or bungee near the rear MIRH's, but then the rods may not be easily accessible. No such attachment points exist near the front MIRH's. So, a couple of questions to anybody using these:
1) Is an aft attachment point even necessary for these Adjustable Rod Holder Extensions? Seems like trolling would only put rotational force on the forward strap.
2) Anybody routinely trolling using these in the rear MIRH's? It seems like reaching back to grab a rod with a large fish on would be quite awkward, but I have never tried, somaybe not.
3) Any clever suggestions for no-holes attachment points for straps? A long cord to the front lifting handle comes to mind for the forward MIRH's, but not very elegant. Marine Goop is removable and has some holding power, but Gooping (instead of screwing) a padeye to the hull may not have sufficient holding power.
I am open to any and all suggestions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jim_MI wrote:
1) Is an aft attachment point even necessary for these Adjustable Rod Holder Extensions?
2) It seems like reaching back to grab a rod with a large fish on would be quite awkward, but I have never tried, somaybe not.
3) Any clever suggestions for no-holes attachment points for straps?

No replies from forum, so I tried a few things over the past week and will answer my own questions in case others are wondering:

1. A rear attachment point for the rod holders really helps in waves and choppy conditions. It also keeps everything secure for beach launching and landing.

2. The rear MIRH's on the Outback work fine for trolling with 8-9 ft rods. You can see the tips well enough to watch for strikes without getting whiplash. Playing and landing a fish with rod leashes attached back there was no problem. They work better for me than trying to rig up temporary attachment points for using the front MIRH's.

3) When using the rear MIRH's, I am clipping the rear strap to the rear deck bungee just behind the middle cleat point. I tried clipping the front strap to the rear end of the paddle bungee, but this did not provide sufficient holding power when dragging various divers to get my bait 50+ ft down. It worked fine for as much as 9 colors of lead core line, though. I changed this up by slipping a 10" nylon cord (with loops at both ends for quick attachment and removal) to the handles on the inner gunwales, and clipping the front rod holder to that. This is an adequately firm attachment point for trolling and aside from the cord partially covering the rear gunwale "pockets", is not in the way of much.

I'd love to hear of other approaches.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk