Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is my first post. I have been lurking for a while on here and other forums learning as much as possible. I love fishing but have never done so from a kayak. I am in the market for my first Hobie. I am choosing Hobie because I feel like it is a wise investment, good customer service, and overall stability and features of the boat.

I know someone who is selling their 2015 Outback because they just purchase a 2017. The cost of the used Hobie will run between $1800-$1900 (tax free I might add) and has some goodies with it. For the most part the only thing I think I'd be giving up not going with a 2017 is reverse for the most part. For a first time Hobie owner is this a good deal? I think that it is because of the significant cost saving. Thoughts?

Thanks,

lbostons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm with you, but others might disagree...depends on how valuable reverse is to you...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That sounds like a pretty good deal for the 2015 if it's got some goodies, and at least you get the Vantage Seat (introduced in 2015 model year). However, everybody that uses the MD 180 can't imagine life without it. It's a real game changer. The MD 180 Turbo Drive is sold as a standalone at $819 and will drop right into your drive well on the 2015...but factor that into your estimated used cost and you're right about where you'd be on a brand new Outback.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HStrech wrote:
That sounds like a pretty good deal for the 2015 if it's got some goodies, and at least you get the Vantage Seat (introduced in 2015 model year). However, everybody that uses the MD 180 can't imagine life without it. It's a real game changer. The MD 180 Turbo Drive is sold as a standalone at $819 and will drop right into your drive well on the 2015...but factor that into your estimated used cost and you're right about where you'd be on a brand new Outback.

Yep that is exactly what I was thinking too. I know I want it but I also know that I don't want to spend that much either. I think this looks like a heck of a deal. I guess I will just "rough it" and buy used (as long as it's still available because he hasn't emailed me back [gasp!!!]).

I appreciate you both giving me your opinions. Sounds like it might be a winner. Just because I'm curious do you know of any place that offers free shipping or if I buy out of state I could get it tax free? That would be my fall back maybe.

lbostons

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well it appears someone beat me to the boat so I'm back to the drawing board searching for a yak.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Old thread but I will dispute the assertion that the 180 drive is universally admired by its owners.

I met someone at the ramp who was holding the cable in his hand as it had snapped off, and have heard of this happening to others. It really depends on the kind of fishing you do whether you will get any benefit.

For myself, I will wait a year or two then possibly pick up a drive, moving my old one to reserve status.

Sent from my RCT6213W87M using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:24 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I met someone at the ramp who was holding the cable in his hand as it had snapped off

I assume you mean a shifter tendon?

These were upgraded to a 5/16" inch thread last winter, so should not be an issue anymore. We found that people have been pulling hard on the shifeters with the fins obstructed and unable to rotate... The fins need to be in free space, pedals close together... not against the hull.

The new tendons / shifters are a no charge upgrade.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Quote:
I met someone at the ramp who was holding the cable in his hand as it had snapped off

I assume you mean a shifter tendon?

These were upgraded to a 5/16" inch thread last winter, so should not be an issue anymore. We found that people have been pulling hard on the shifeters with the fins obstructed and unable to rotate... The fins need to be in free space, pedals close together... not against the hull.

The new tendons / shifters are a no charge upgrade.
Yes, just so. And this was February or March, almost certainly the old version. The upgraded part is just what I was thinking would be coming, but I was unaware it had already happened.

Sent from my RCT6213W87M using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the 2017 model with the 180 drive, picked it up last October. I expected a few issues with the new model drive, as with anything else, the first and sometimes second year of a new model (BMW motorcycles are notorious for issues on first model years) and so far, the only issues I've had is the shifter tendon breaking. It's happened twice to me now, and yes, I'm well aware of how/when to shift-it's just a less than ideal design in that respect-the small diameter and plastic threads are weak. My kayak does probably get used quite a bit more than the average, I fish almost daily and often for 8 hours or more. My dealer has handled it quickly and without fuss, only downside is they do not have the improved version yet nor the turbo fins (back ordered). In retrospect, I would have ordered the camo model that already has the turbo fins and a few other upgrades. But it's not the end of the world and even with a broken tendon, you can still shift in/out of reverse without the tendon, It's a bit inconvenient but not that difficult.
I'm very glad I waited for the 180 drive instead of buying a discounted older model year. The reverse drive is absolutely invaluable when fishing in my opinion. I took out my neighbor's 2014 PA14 a few days ago and was lost without reverse.
It's hands down the best ever-not only when fishing structures like jetties, bridges and around piers, but also to keep you steady in currents and effortlessly hold you above structures when fishing wrecks, ledges, etc
To me, it's a huge advantage not needing to anchor, which I do rarely even when only fishing in shallow areas of the ocean.
Might not be as important when just kayaking to sight see etc, but for fishing it's the cat's meow. I hooked another massive stingray today and it ran around like a bucking bronc-forward, back, sideways, plant itself on the bottom...thanks to the reverse, I can work a big ole barn door like that without getting pulled sideways into waves that might end up capsizing the yak. Not to mention being able to back big fish away from structures as they try to wrap around...
I say spend the extra money, it's worth every penny.