Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been checking the forum ever since the video for the compass dropped on Facebook a couple hours ago, but have not seen any chatter, so I figured that I would kick things off!

First things first, here's the new kayak, for those who haven't seen it! https://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-compass/

Both myself and a friend have been looking hard at the Hobies for a while. My friend was basically set on an Outback for fishing, but really was not excited about the weight. He also really didn't like the placement of the rudder for coming in through waves on the coast. He thought it was too dangerous. So seeing this new model might be a gamechanger for him.

Pros that I see right off the bat:
1. Lighter weight, but still very stable
2. Rudder out of the way

Initial Questions:

1. The webpage appears to indicate that the reverse drive will not work in this kayak. How is it possible that the reverse drive won't work in it - I thought they were all interchangeable? Will the turbo drive work in it?

2. The seat seems to be somewhat different. I don't know if they are all new for 2018 or what. If this is a different seat, will that be interchangeable with the Outback seat?

3. Standing up - the web page talks a lot about this kayak as a standing platform, but there was only like a 1 second flash of someone standing up in it. Really curious to know how stable it is vs the Outback.

What is everyone else's first impressions?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hahaha! I have literally been asking for this kayak for 2 years!

Quote:
While we're dreaming...
- Lighten the Outback by 5-10 lbs (pipe dream, I know)
- Give it the same bow shape as the 2015 Sport to cut down on hull slap (totally do-able!!!)
- Dedicated mounting spots for H-rails (goes against my desire for lighter craft, but imagine how useful that would be!)
- shut up and take my money!

See discussion here: https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=55757&p=262735

I don't see a lowrance scupper though :|

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I also said this in January of 2014:

Quote:
Hey Matt, I'll buy another Outback when you revise the handles and the hull/bow design to minimize hull slap (like you did with the Sport). I have faith you guys at Hobie will do [at least one of the two] in the next few years. Just saying...

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=50194

@Matt Miller, I think you guys are finally starting to listen to me... 3 years later :lol: Time for me to put my money where my mouth is before you decide against producing this model!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jcanracer wrote:
I also said this in January of 2014:

Quote:
Hey Matt, I'll buy another Outback when you revise the handles and the hull/bow design to minimize hull slap (like you did with the Sport). I have faith you guys at Hobie will do [at least one of the two] in the next few years. Just saying...

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=50194

@Matt Miller, I think you guys are finally starting to listen to me... 3 years later :lol: Time for me to put my money where my mouth is before you decide against producing this model!

That's awesome - I guess now we know to expect a few year turnaround on specific requests. I'll start making my list! :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here are some things I don't see that I'm wondering if they were omitted for budget or they are there and I just didn't see them?
- Rigid mid-ship carrying handles (I don't see them in the marketing material?)
- Lowrance scupper. This shouldn't have costed anything to add it at the modeling/mold stage, unless Hobie is trying to prevent market cannibalization from Outback and Pro-Angler sales?

Things I don't mind that they omitted for the budget:
- Sailing mast receptacle (I'd rather sail my Revo13)
- Mirage 180 drive (Nothing wrong with the V2 drive in my opinion)
- Front Hatch: we all know front hatches leak anyway, so good riddance says I!

Things I love about this hull:
- Sharp bow will cut through waves instead of bounce on them like the Outback
- Bigger cockpit
- Bigger trunk/tankwell/whatever-you-want-to-call-it
- Seat appears to be a Vantage CT seat?
- keel guard? NICE!

I cannot wait to test this out at my local Hobie Dealer 8)

Last edited by Jcanracer on Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think the design team at Hobie deserves a pat on the back for this one. It's hard to see how this boat will perform on paper. But, given their past track record, is there any doubt? They nailed it! They waited for all the other yak companies to show off their new peddle drives and set their prices, then today they announce the new Compass that is not only lighter in weight but easier on the pocketbook. A definite game changer in my opinion!

I also love the new colors.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

https://www.mariner-sails.com/hobie-new ... mpass.html

Says it is Lowrance ready. I like it. I wonder if the square hatch would work? It's sort of a Outback/PA hybrid.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks okay, shame about the limited colour options...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

[quote="JKicker"]

3. Standing up - the web page talks a lot about this kayak as a standing platform, but there was only like a 1 second flash of someone standing up in it. Really curious to know how stable it is vs the Outback.

Not real sure about the stability, I thought the young lady at 0:07 was going for a swim :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That pontoon style hull and square stern is probably one of the most stable yaks you can get at 12'. I use to stand up and sight fish for reds and spooked a lot of them. I now prefer sitting and reading the water.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK, now that more pictures have surfaced I can see that the Lowrance scupper is indeed included.
I can also see that this is a different seat from the Vantage CT seat, it looks more simplified?
Looks like I was right about the carrying handles, they are molded into the inside of the cockpit, so installing rigid carrying handles is still going to be a wise decision.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:00 am 
Site Admin

The Compass is designed to be simplified and lower cost...

The GT drives are less expensive.

The MD180 does fit.

The rectangular hatch does fit in front of the seat.

No sailing mast / accessory mount... cost and differentiation from the premium line.

The seat is simplified. No height adjustments. You can adjust back angle and lumbar support. Works as a beach chair.

Very stable for standing.

Lowrance ready. Cockpit fittings are not installed.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dear Matt,
I'm ready to put my money where my mouth is. I've posted my old Revo11 for sale and will be putting down a deposit for a Compass. I think you guys have distilled many of the community's "asks" into an interesting package.
Many thanks,
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

One more question: Does a rectangular hatch fit on the front hatch?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm going to take a wild guess that the rectangular hatch wont fit in the bow area. There appears to be a molded in ring under the mesh panel that was probably made to accept another 8" round hatch if you chose to install one. With that molded in ring there it would be tough to get a rectangular hatch to seal in that area even if it were to fit.