Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Battery for FF
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok my Hobie branded battery gave up the Ghost and i recently got another similar battery with 9ah for $20 it does ok. I am hoping Hobie has something in the works for a Lithium battery that has USB ports as well. I run a Lowrance 7ti and I'm sure a lot of people run similar units and run them all day long. I know y'all said you had new products to announce at the end of August- please tell me you have something comparable to one of your competitors. I want a light battery from 15ah-20ah. Don't have to give details, but just a we are working on something to become available soon...... would be nice. I like buying Hobie branded products because they're quality.

Post subject: Re: Battery for FF
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No insight on new product development, but I will add my voice to your call for Hobie to up their game in the area of batteries. For about the same cost as a stock Hobie branded SLA battery from the catalog ($62), you can get a decent LiFePO4 battery with WAY more ah from Amazon. When my battery recently died I decided to stick with older tech, and found a dimensionally and power-output equivalent replacement for the standard Hobie battery for about $20. I love Hobie gear but cannot imagine paying 3x more for the stock Hobie SLA battery with no added benefits or features!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The Hobie guys are pretty good about answering questions- there silence has me hopeful. Gonna be disappointed if I am wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is something we have on our radar, and we are aware that the industry is shifting toward Li batteries as a standard for kayak power.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for replying, I will do Hobie/you a solid and not ask any more questions till 09/01/2017. Hopefully then you can divulge more information.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I figure the delay is in developing a burn box for the lithium battery. I fly drones (racing drones) and I've had to burn my fingers trying to get an igniting battery off of one of my builds before it could burn the thing up. I'd hate to have something like that happen inside the hull of my yak. Chances are that it isn't going to happen since the FF doesn't pull all that much instantaneous current, but it would still suck BIG TIME if it did.

You might as well be carrying an Alien on your yak with you. And if it ever bleeds, there will be a meltdown.