Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Youth Fishing Kayaks
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm researching kayaks right now for my family and I'm interested in the PA 14. I'm also interested in finding out the best option of kayak for my 8 and 11 yr old sons. does Hobie offer a good youth kayak? If I were to consider a smaller kayak like the Compass can the mirage drive be adjusted enough for someone 4.5' tall?

Post subject: Re: Youth Fishing Kayaks
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Mirage Sport would be a good option as it's our smallest and lightest Mirage kayak platform: https://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-sport/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

HStrech wrote:
The Mirage Sport would be a good option as it's our smallest and lightest Mirage kayak platform: https://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-sport/

Okay, I like the size and weight of the Sport, but do you think that the mirage drive can be adjusted enough towards the seat to accommodate younger kayakers?

thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The info you are seeking is the distance from pedal in its forward position to the seat back when the cranks are set at their closest setting,ie maximum stretch required at closest setting, so you can compare them directly with your sons measurements in the sitting in same position.

Keep in mind full forward extension is not necessary to operate the drive, given your son will still be growing

If no one puts the answer up here, then a quick call to your local hobie dealer and they can easily measure that for you. Not sure if this setting on a sport will be any shorter than any other model.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My son used a Sport when he was 6-7, but then I sold it and got a Revo 11 when he turned 8. He can paddle the Revo 11 for longer periods of time and is faster than the Sport. It is also less prone to catching the wind. YMMV.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Depending on the yak, the distance from the seat to the pedals does vary slightly. With the Sport being a shorter platform, the pedals are a bit closer to the seat. From the seat bar to the pedals, with the cranks on the shortest setting and both fins vertical, the distance is ~16 inches. Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You could also consider the 17T. With you in the back and no drives up front, there's plenty of room/capacity for 2 kids to sit on the floor or coolers and they'll always be in sight. I tried the PA 14 briefly, and when I solo the 17T if feels like it's just as efficient, perhaps even more so.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Sport is the kayak you want. Light, portable, great stability, and room to grow if you're a kid. In fact, the Sport was my first Hobie kayak and I was (still am) 5'7" 205lbs. I took it to inshore waters and offshore. It is quite capable for it's size.
Only two cons to the Sport:
1. Without the rudder, paddling the Sport reveals that it doesn't always like to go straight. This is simply the nature of all short kayaks
2. If you are an adult user in a sport, the weight capacity is only 225lbs, so pack light!

The Revo11 is also an excellent choice for a young kayaker or small adult. It is slimmer, sleeker, and longer than the Sport and can carry a bit more weight, but feels a bit more tippy if the user is more accustomed to wide kayaks like Outbacks. Standing in a Revo is also more tricky than in the Sport.

Good luck, you are an awesome parent for getting the kids involved 8)