Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fishfinder
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi guys, I've been reading up on this forum for the last couple months but this is my first time posting. I'm gearing up for a Hobie PA 17t and am looking around for a fishfinder to go with it. I know that Hobie has a transducer mount that's compatible with Lowrance, so I was looking at the Lowrance Elite-Ti and Lowrance HOOK2 in the 7 or 9 inch displays. I'm wondering if any of you have practical experience with these two models? My biggest concern about the Elite-Ti is that it can't run the CHIRP and structure scan simultaneously. That would bother me. Otherwise it sounds like a good unit. My understanding is that the HOOK2 fishfinders have autotuning, which is cool, but they are pretty new so not a lot of people have experience with them or know what the bugs are. I just don't want to drop a lot of money and have a lemon on my hands. Also, I don't really understand how the HOOK2 would be much different from the Elite-Ti. Basically, I'm looking for 2D sonar with CHIRP, down and side imaging, and GPS.

My third option is a Humminbird Helix in the 7 or 9 inch displays. Of course, the Hobie transom mount isn't compatible and I don't want to bother with hanging the fishfinder off the side. I've heard of BerleyPro but don't know if they have a transducer adapter that will work for this transducer. Also, unsure of the quality of the image with a BerleyPro adapter. Does anybody have experience with this? Honestly, if BerleyPro had an transducer adapter for the Humminbird Helix fishfinders and I knew if worked well and gave a good image, then I would go with that. The difference in money doesn't bother me.

I'd appreciate any insight or help.

Post subject: Re: Fishfinder
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hook2's are so new that you probably won't find much feedback on that unit yet, but I can tell you that if you're in the market for an Elite Ti, that unit will do everything you want it to do, and it's been proven. The Hook2's will be the most user friendly interface, however. Just FYI With the Elite you will be able to split the screen and run Chirp sonar and structure scan at the same time. I would recommend on units with side imaging technology, not going smaller than a 7" screen for readability purposes.

Post subject: Re: Fishfinder
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a berleypro on my PA14 right now for the Helix 9 SI compact transducer. Works fine. I’m actually going to be downsizing and am researching the new Garmin Echomap Plus series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk