Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New poster here; my wife and I are moving from Alaska to Costa Rica in September 2018, and I planned to purchase a new Hobie Pro Angler or an Outback for fishing in the Jaco / Herradura area, and possibly for some freshwater fishing. I have heard of the duty charges for bringing goods in to Costa Rica. Can I bring in a new kayak as personal property (not for resale, in other words), without having to pay duty or taxes on it?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry, no answer but a bump to the top since I'd love to find out more i fo on this as well. Except my yak will be well used by the time I can start this journey.
Pura vida

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Costa Rica can charge high customs fees on imported items. If planning to move there I would arrange for a short cargo container to take my stuff and ship it by boat to Costa Rica. From the dock to nearly anywhere in Costa Rica is going to be 200 miles or less so trucking costs at that end will not be huge. Ocean freight is the cheapest way to send anything anywhere.

20' container
Inner dimension: L 232" x W 92" x H 94"
Max capacity: 33 CBM
Realistic capacity: 28~30 CBM
Max weight: 34000 lb

Many things are difficult to find in Costa Rica including nearly all the things you may have bought at your local hardware store (chain saws, table saw, name brand power tools, plumbing parts, light fixtures, fasteners, auto repair tools, etc.). Even with furniture it is cheaper to ship what you already own than to buy it in Costa Rica for the most part. Cardboard wardrobe boxes can be used in the container to ship your clothes (avoid using these for anything that is made from leather).

Lots of books and websites that cover in depth relocating of gringos to Costa Rica. It has been a favorite refuge for Americans since the Quakers went there after being released from prison after the end of World War II. Be aware that unlike places like Belize and much of Mexico you cannot get by without some ability to speak and read Spanish.

There are ways to get permanent residency in Costa Rica and it is worthwhile to talk to a local attorney in San Jose to see if any are viable for you. Otherwise you need to leave every 6 months for a period of time and your property is vulnerable while you are away.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Santiago wrote:
New poster here; my wife and I are moving from Alaska to Costa Rica in September 2018, and I planned to purchase a new Hobie Pro Angler or an Outback for fishing in the Jaco / Herradura area, and possibly for some freshwater fishing. I have heard of the duty charges for bringing goods in to Costa Rica. Can I bring in a new kayak as personal property (not for resale, in other words), without having to pay duty or taxes on it?

Thanks!

No problem. I brought a used Revolution 11 to Jaco back 2 years ago. Agent asked me if it was new or used. Used of course, waved on bye. If asked value, lie, you get up to $500 duty free, stamp in passport. In all my years I've never been taxed or questioned further.
Southwest Airlines is the only airline I know of that allows passage of any non sea kayak (like super long sit ins) up to 100lbs for a flat rate of $75 if one of your 2 free check ins. Heck of a deal!!!
For wrapping I kept the shipping wrap from the dealer, loaded the hull with a bunch of gear, up to 100lbs. Wraped two tie downs around the hull to secure, allow easy to open for inspection and give handlers an easy handle to grab/move the kayak with.

FYI: You don't need residency (no advantage for some and maybe a disadvantage for others). Tourist visas are 3 months in length. Easy to obtain with a border run the same day.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well I found out that Alaska Airlines will not accept the yak even as cargo; it's too long to fit through the belly door. So my options are to ship it by ship, or to buy one here in Costa Rica. Are there any Hobie dealers around? What about the used market?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Santiago wrote:
Well I found out that Alaska Airlines will not accept the yak even as cargo; it's too long to fit through the belly door. So my options are to ship it by ship, or to buy one here in Costa Rica. Are there any Hobie dealers around? What about the used market?

Yeah, no other airline, except Southwest, allows kayak as cargo that I know of. There is a Hobie dealer in San Jose, expect sticker shock for import fees of about 35-50 percent more than US prices new. I found them difficult to communicate with, but have not tried in the past 2 years. Rare to see any used ones for sale.
I'm thinking of selling my Revolution 11, 2015 model, to make room, since I still have the TI. Send my pm or email me @ [email protected] if interested.