Return to

Hobie Forums

It is currently Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New poster here; my wife and I are moving from Alaska to Costa Rica in September 2018, and I planned to purchase a new Hobie Pro Angler or an Outback for fishing in the Jaco / Herradura area, and possibly for some freshwater fishing. I have heard of the duty charges for bringing goods in to Costa Rica. Can I bring in a new kayak as personal property (not for resale, in other words), without having to pay duty or taxes on it?

"Everything about him was old except his eyes and they were the same color as the sea and were cheerful and undefeated."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry, no answer but a bump to the top since I'd love to find out more i fo on this as well. Except my yak will be well used by the time I can start this journey.
Pura vida

I love my Hobie therapy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Costa Rica can charge high customs fees on imported items. If planning to move there I would arrange for a short cargo container to take my stuff and ship it by boat to Costa Rica. From the dock to nearly anywhere in Costa Rica is going to be 200 miles or less so trucking costs at that end will not be huge. Ocean freight is the cheapest way to send anything anywhere.

20' container
Inner dimension: L 232" x W 92" x H 94"
Max capacity: 33 CBM
Realistic capacity: 28~30 CBM
Max weight: 34000 lb

Many things are difficult to find in Costa Rica including nearly all the things you may have bought at your local hardware store (chain saws, table saw, name brand power tools, plumbing parts, light fixtures, fasteners, auto repair tools, etc.). Even with furniture it is cheaper to ship what you already own than to buy it in Costa Rica for the most part. Cardboard wardrobe boxes can be used in the container to ship your clothes (avoid using these for anything that is made from leather).

Lots of books and websites that cover in depth relocating of gringos to Costa Rica. It has been a favorite refuge for Americans since the Quakers went there after being released from prison after the end of World War II. Be aware that unlike places like Belize and much of Mexico you cannot get by without some ability to speak and read Spanish.

There are ways to get permanent residency in Costa Rica and it is worthwhile to talk to a local attorney in San Jose to see if any are viable for you. Otherwise you need to leave every 6 months for a period of time and your property is vulnerable while you are away.