Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I’m unable to find this information in the search and want to purchase the new Mirage Drive 180 when it comes available (adjusting pins on top, clevis pins, st turbo). Just purchased a brand new 2016 in 2017 and want to upgrade. Already put on the Deluxe Mounting Boards (nice tracks, tool and jig hanger). To look at the boat you’d think I was Hobie fan boy, as I have almost every accessorie available (short of the xl bait tank). So any info I can get on the release of the new mirage 180 would surely be appreciated. Thanks, Rick

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Austin Kayak is currently selling and shipping the new 180 ARC mirage drive - according to their support person. I ordered one so can confirm next week.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That’ll be great to hear. Because the rep I talked to at Austin Kayak, said that Hobie was only offering the Arc drive to new 2018 kayaks only. She also stated, after contacting Hobie, that they may offer drives after the new year release, in the fall. That’s why I asked here to get one of the mediators thoughts on the hold up. I also saw it being sold in England for 595 pounds (Cornwall Canoes). I live in California, born and bred in California, rode a Hobie skate board with clay wheels, surfed a Hobie 9 foot surfboard,and now Hobie builds probably the best drives available on the market and I can’t get one. Just saying. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is there any update on the release of the 2018 Mirage 180 ARC drive??? Got cash in hand and willing to buy. Anyone out there know of a dealer that's capable of selling product to they're customers? My local outfit can't make it happen. Still waiting. Hello, HOBIE!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

+1 Wondering the same thing myself... would like to upgrade ASAP.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What is this ARC drive? Pictures???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie Cat Co. will not be offering the MD180 until the Fall. (when 2019 model year kayaks begin shipping) If Austin Kayak says they're selling them - then they must be taking them out of complete boats to do so. I had this same question yesterday via phone here at the home office - I immediately got on the other line with Austin kayak's head of operations - they said they do not sell the MD180 with Arc cranks - since it's not yet available. I think that someone has gotten some bad info - or misunderstood what they were being asked to sell. There is only one way at the moment to get MD180 with Arc cranks - that is a complete new 2018 Mirage kayak model.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jbernier wrote:
Hobie Cat Co. will not be offering the MD180 until the Fall.

Bummer! Thank you for information though. Is this a matter of not being able to produce enough quantity, or a business decision by Hobie? Just curious...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

More of a supply issue than a business decision I'd say. I doubt that people are buying complete new boats to get the new style crank arms - and I'm sure we could sell a lot of Arc crank arms through parts right now if they were made available (and matching drums - since the arc cranks do not work with old drums - so they'll need to upgrade their drums as well) I'm sure Matt Miller director of Hobie's parts dept would love those additional sales in his department! This is similar to when the MD180 came out, they weren't available until the following model year either... so there is some precedence already with these upgraded parts delays - boat production is priority, you can imagine it would be bad if Hobie couldn't build complete kayaks because they ran out of crank arms due to high parts sales volume - that would be a bad scenario indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I contacted customer support at ACK. They said that they’d have a new shipment of ARC drives in a week (over a couple weeks ago) so I checked the sight, and low and behold, there they were, ARC drive in the ST Turbo (pictured on they’re web page as a stand alone purchase), so I ordered it. Received it yesterday and it wasn’t the ARC drive. It was the 180 V2 model. This was after two conversations from two completely different reps that confirmed that it would be the ARC drive. The best part was that they’re answer to the confusion was, that they really don’t know much about all they’re products as they have so many. So I explained to the rep, that the misrepresentation of the image (Mirage Drive 180 - Turbo Fins) could likely be the root of the confusion, and should be changed. Apparently it wasn’t this customer reps job. As the image is still there misrepresenting. Way to go ACK, Peter Messana would be proud!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:34 am 
Site Admin

That is not the way a customer service person should respond.

As far as I can tell... they do have the correct images and text on their site now: https://www.austinkayak.com/search/hobie+mirage+drive+180

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes I see they made the switch. I Wonder what prompted them to change it in the first place? Sent the MD180 back to ACK in Texas, and found it back on my doorstep the following morning. Apparently FedEx thought I should keep the MD. This thing is like a bad penny. I can’t get rid of it! Had to take it back to Fedex to ship it off again. Have to admit ACK did give me a return label and an apology. Thanks ACK.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Austin Kayak is back at it again, or is the Mirage 180 ARC Drive available now? As the images used to sell they’re Hobie Mirage Drive 180 - Turbo Fins, similarly look like the Arc drive. Just asking, as I’m still waiting to purchase the drive.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:20 am 
Site Admin

Our parts department does not sell the ARC. We may not even in the coming year as boat production is still using up the supplies as we get them.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank’s, was looking forward to picking up a drive in October. Guess I’ll spend my money elsewhere. It’s a shame that Hobie expected the 180 to go gang busters, only to put out a drive that had to be revamped twice and have the consumers put up with the aggravation. Then to put out a finished product that should be available to the consumers that had to go through that aggravation. Guess there’s to many 180 V2’s to sell before they’ll offer the refined and finished ARC drive. It seems to me if we’re putting out thousands of dollars for Hobie equipment (and there prices are exorbitant) that Hobie should bend a taste for they’re customers. As new kayak builders are making great strides in offering better technologies and designs for much less, it wouldn’t take much to see the writing on the wall. Hope the best for you, as a Hobie employee, as my company went the direction of leaving the customer hanging, and we went from 120 employees in my field to 6. Good Luck!