Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Do you have a set routine to prepare for a new season?

I realize guys down south have a 365 day season, but up here I'm off the water (ice) for a couple months, so it gives me time to prepare for the new season.

These are a few things I do:

Rig my kayak (if I get a new one). This is the one thing I really look forward to. I've always like 'tinkering' with things, so rather if it's setting up a new kayak or making a few improvements to an older one, it's something I enjoy doing to pass the time.

Batteries: Make sure my batteries are in good shape and ready.

Updating software: I check to see if there are any software updates for my Lowrance units and I do my Daily Updates on my Navionics charts. I will start studying lakes I know I will fishing.

Restring my reels: I go over the reels to see if the line needs to be changes or reversed. I reverse my braided line once before I switch it out.

Rods: Check all the eyes, make sure they are all lines up and no issues that are going to cut or wear my line.

Tackle: I organize my tackle. I will stock up on my 'go-to' stuff and take stuff out that I rarely used, if at all.

Fishing licence: I make sure my fishing licence(s) are in order for the season.

Trailer: I go over my trailer to make sure it's ready. I check the lights make sure they are all working properly. I pull the wheels, check the tires, check and repack the bearings.

PFD: I check my PFD's to make sure they are in good shape. Check the air canister on the inflatable one to see if it's time to be replaced or not.

These are most of the things I work on in the off season.