Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,

Please let me know if this isn't the correct place to put an intro post.

Thought it best to introduce myself to the forums as I've just picked up a brand new Hobie Mirage Sport that I use to fish for Australian Bass here in Sydney.

I was previously using a cheap little paddle kayak, running a Jarvis Walker Watersnake electric motor as I suffer from chronic back/shoulder pain, but the comfort of the Sport is incredible in comparison.

I chose the Sport because I can car top it very easily on my own, it's compact enough to fish skinny water creeks, the storage options are perfect for what I need, the 180 drive is so convenient and the vantage seat has meant no more back and shoulder issues - it's basically a mini Outback, and I can honestly say it's the best purchase I've ever made.

Unfortunately I could only get one in Seagrass Green which wasn't my first preference for colour, but some fishing stickers should help give it a bit more cred.

Here she is in her current form...

Vince.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:37 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Congratulations on you new purchase Vince, and welcome to the forum! That's a fine looking Sport -- love the color! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yep, excellent boat and eye candy to boot.

To my eye, the Sport and Revolution 11 have particularly pleasing lines.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks guys, I’m absolutely loving it, should have bought one years ago.

Looking at some black deck mat to put in the foot well around the mirage drive hole and potentially inside the storage pockets just for a bit of comfort and the reduce the banging/noise when moving things around inside the boat.

This is the stuff I had my eye on, hoping I don’t have any issues with adhesion...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3141319782

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bit of an update on the Hobie, with so much rain here in Sydney at the moment I thought it was a good time to attempt the DIY deck mat and also update the stickers on the Kayak. I feel like a bit of a wanker having brands plastered over the Hobie, but it helps deflect from the crazy green colour.

The deck mat came out ok, not perfect, but without a template available or an off the shelf item for the Sport I did the best I could.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Great kayak Vince! Welcome to the Hobie family!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've got a Passport in Seagrass Green. The FeelFree lime camo bags (fish and crate) are a perfect color match for the Hobie Seagrass. Green and proud brother... green and proud. :mrgreen:

“Do not try and bend the spoon, that’s impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth… there is no spoon.”

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great choice, I consider the Hobie Sport the ultimate Hobie (if you can fit into it). Keep it as simple and light as possible.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yep, I love how light it and compact it is and that I can launch and load it on my own, more importantly in the dark usually!

Plenty of storage, more than fast enough for what I do, and very comfortable - I'm around 176cm (5' 8") and 90kg (198lbs).

I was tempted by the Outback and the Compass, but found they just had unnecessary length to them, and I don't carry a heap of cargo other than a waterproof bag, so it was wasted space & weight for what I use it for.