Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just got the Garmin Striker 4CV for my brand new Compass.

I wanted the ClearVu so chose the CV version. Well, with more sonar capability comes a larger transducer compared to the Striker 4 Install I have seen on youtube. There is just not enough room to use the existing bracket attachment.

Now I wonder what to do to make this lengthy transducer fit:

1. Cut down the plastic inside the Lawrence ready plate and find way to put the transducer into stable position... hate to glue in case I still see issues, was thinking about plastic ties through the holes within plate... or hope some duct seal will do... but on other hand I can imagine this gets washed away quickly

2. Leave mounting plate as is and squeeze the transducer in place.... This is now very snug without applying any mount. The transducer will stick out a little bit but I think it will still be protected. It will not be parallel to mounting plate but a little bit angled.

I saw on youtube an install where it was mounted but sticking out even more.... see 5:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXs61fD ... PuRTl&t=4s

3. Spend the cash and get the
https://www.berleypro.com/product/garmi ... its-hobie/
But after having spent 150$ on fishfinder and 80$ on sealed battery I dont really want to spend another 65$ for some plastic pieces.

I plan to try option 2 without finishing the fill install avoiding to redo for 2nd attempt.
Any reason why option 2 will not work? It will be slightly angled but it should not really be able to move around much.
Dont really like to cut down the new plate especially not knowing whether I actually get it to work. (option 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This is how it will look like for option 2....

https://flic.kr/p/Gu2mSE

https://flic.kr/p/Gu2mVW

haven't yet figured out to embed a picture directly here....

The more I think about it the more I dislike the exposed transducer.... I will be lake fishing around rocky shores and moving back and fourth with kayak. A replacement transducer costs same as buying a new fishfinder. But still hurts to think about having to spend 65$ for new transducer place to work with a 150$ fishfinder.
Option 1 means damaging the Hobie Transducer plate... Not that I want to think about selling right now. But I basically remove ability to use for future other fishfinders as designed.

But the holes in the transducer place could really be used to hold the transducer in place w/o glue... so, leaning towards option 1 now.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, looks like no opinions on use of duct seal to attach the transducer to the transducer plate.
I decided to cut down the lowrance ready plate and use duct seal to hold transducer in place. should probably make sure the part which reads water temperature does not get covered. I assume thats the small silver round eye towards the end.
From what I read this should not impact readings as long as no air was trapped.... I understand that recommendation is to leave some air in between transducer and plate.... but I think that is primarily to make sure there is enough flow of water to make sure no air gets trapped.... so, the duct seal should eliminate air as well as hold transducer stable in place.

Bad weather (actually good as we need to cold rain/snow) coming up here in NorCal this weekend, so won't be able to test the results.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes you can simply duc seal it onto the plate. However Im doing all my installs using duc seal in the starbord pontoon. All working perfectly.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The installation of the transducer "in hull" is very simple and the correct reading of the water temperature is not only immediately, needing a few minutes on the target to mark correctly,

ex Outback 2014
ex Outback 2013

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How can it read the water temperature if installed 'in hull'?

Anyways, I actually just have the transducer somewhat loose within the transducer ready box without applying any duct seal.
And I do not see any distorted picture at all. All seems to be operating really well and I took it out fishing a dozen times.