Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've read most of the related posts, and "think" I have an idea of what I need, but am looking to the experience here to help me outfitting a Hobie Outback.
I’m new to kayak fishing (aside from my inflatable). 

From reading through the forum, it seems like the Hobie Trax 2-30 would be the best option for a cart to work not only on the soft sand, but pulling it 100’ down a driveway/grass to store on my patio. Does that sound right?

Upgrading to the sailing rudder and turbo fins seems to be a no-brainer. 

I’ve got a Helix 7 FF/GPS and a Noqua power pro 10amp/hr battery. I’d like to make this a portable mount, so I can unhook it from my kayak (battery and Helix not transducer), and take it on my friends Grady to network with his Helix and transducer. 
I saw a video on youtube where Adventure Outdoors mounted the Helix and power pro on PVC board, on the right side slightly forward of the pedal drive. My concern is the Noqua doesn’t look waterproof should you take waves, spray, or a flip. Would I be better off mounting a Yak Attack Cellblok on a GT175 gear trak? It seems I could plug any holes in the Cellblok with Oxguard, and with the small size of the Noqua the extra cabling could fit inside the Cellblok. Am I missing anything?

Reading the forum, its seems like upgrading the Helix transducer from XNT 9 SI 180 T to a XHS 9 HDSI 180 T is worth the $100. On the Berleypro site, they have a $59 transducer mount for Humminbird/Hobie, does anyone have experience with this transducer using this mount?

I’d also like a fishing rod mount that can accept both a spinning and casting rod, and preferably can swing to the right for trolling and straight ahead to be out of the way when casting or unhooking. Is the rocket launcher a good option for this or are there better choices? I’ve read a fixed location is best, but since I don’t know yet exactly what location will work best for me, would it make sense for me to use some sort of H-rail so I can adjust its position to find what works best?

The Hobie anchor trolley should be a no-brainer as well?

I’m looking at the Visicarbon Pro for a flag/night light solution. It looks like I can just stick this in one of the rear rod holders?

I already have PFDs, whistle, flare, etc. Is there anything else that I should be strongly considering? 

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Ed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Ed -
Welcome to the forum. I have a PA14 and my wife has an Outback. I occasionally fish from her Outback and can answer a few of your questions.
I was struggling with the rod holder issue until someone suggested the Hobie Adjustable Rod Extender. This fits in the rear molded-in rod holders (so no additional track or rail hardware is necessary) and is plenty adjustable for trolling or spinning gear. The trax-2 cart should work well for you. I used a Visicarbon Pro flag/light with a Scotty deck mount that I fastened to the rear deck with Goop. I switched this to a taller and flashier home made flag last summer after nearly getting mowed down by disengaged power boaters several times. I have the Hobie anchor trolley and a small collapsible anchor, but seldom use either. I have occasionally deployed a drift chute from the trolley when jigging over a productive spot in windy conditions. Such rigging depends on your preferred fishing locations and technique; I mostly troll and jig deep water (60-200 ft). You should also consider a waterproof radio that can be clipped to your PFD, especially if you plan on going offshore. Cannot help you with the FF questions. Good luck with outfitting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Jim, thanks for the welcome!

Wow, even with the Visicarbon the boaters were so incompetent they almost crashed into you? I definitely need to be fully attentive in the inlets!

Do you have a recommendation on the waterproof radio?

I'm also trying to figure out the fastest/easy way to load an 80+ pound boat onto a tall SUV by myself :( Thinking of going the Hullivator route, but 2 dealers told me there's no way to fit that on my suv. How are people commonly loading an Outback, aside from a pickup bed or trailer?

Thanks,
Ed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

Even in broad daylight...

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ed Z wrote:

Wow, even with the Visicarbon the boaters were so incompetent they almost crashed into you? I definitely need to be fully attentive in the inlets!

I'm also trying to figure out the fastest/easy way to load an 80+ pound boat onto a tall SUV by myself :( Thinking of going the Hullivator route, but 2 dealers told me there's no way to fit that on my suv. How are people commonly loading an Outback, aside from a pickup bed or trailer?

Thanks,
Ed
Ed -
Can you fold the rear seats down in your SUV? Do you have a trailer hitch? If so, you may be able to find a bed extender that would get most of your Outback adequately supported for short trips. I transported my PA14 in a shortbed pickup with a bed extender for several years, no problem. You'll need to do some research (ground clearance at ramps and that sort of thing) but worth investigating. WRT radios, lots to choose from - see https://www.westmarine.com/handheld-vhf-radios
I have a 6-yr old Standard Horizon which works fine but it is bulkier than newer models.

PS - my near-misses occurred several miles offshore with no other boat traffic around, so the danger is not just in high traffic areas. The captain's probably had their autopilot on and were not looking for a tiny kayak on a big blue sea. So add a LOUD air horn to your safety equipment list.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A yak-attack blackpak should be on your list there. I don't know how I fished without it honestly. Not sure what you are using for a battery box but the dyi pelican box is a must.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ed Z wrote:

I have a van and installed some soft casters on my old trunk bike rack.
I hook the bike rack on and lift the front of the outback on the casters.
Lift the back of the outback and roll it on the roof.
Stand on the side door and flip the outback top side down (I have a rope connected to the side handle to help flip it over).
Strap it down and you're done. Do the the reverse to take it down. Before I discovered my bike rack option I laid a moving blanket on the back of the van and pushed the outback on the roof. Doable but easier with my bike rack/caster solution.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jim_MI wrote:
Ed Z wrote:

Thanks,
Ed
Ed -
Can you fold the rear seats down in your SUV? Do you have a trailer hitch? If so, you may be able to find a bed extender that would get most of your Outback adequately supported for short trips. I transported my PA14 in a shortbed pickup with a bed extender for several years, no problem. You'll need to do some research (ground clearance at ramps and that sort of thing) but worth investigating. WRT radios, lots to choose from - see https://www.westmarine.com/handheld-vhf-radios
I have a 6-yr old Standard Horizon which works fine but it is bulkier than newer models.

PS - my near-misses occurred several miles offshore with no other boat traffic around, so the danger is not just in high traffic areas. The captain's probably had their autopilot on and were not looking for a tiny kayak on a big blue sea. So add a LOUD air horn to your safety equipment list.

I can fold them down and do have a hitch. My concern would be the water/sand/salt in the SUV, losing most of the room, and having to secure all the milk crates some how so they don't find their way on the highway lol

Loud airhorn added to the list!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Soflokbf wrote:
A yak-attack blackpak should be on your list there. I don't know how I fished without it honestly. Not sure what you are using for a battery box but the dyi pelican box is a must.

What do you like most about the blackpak vs a milk crate? I read through some info on their site and am about to head to Youtube, but figured a first hand user would be better able to answer that...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

jdr12345 wrote:
Ed Z wrote:

I have a van and installed some soft casters on my old trunk bike rack.
I hook the bike rack on and lift the front of the outback on the casters.
Lift the back of the outback and roll it on the roof.
Stand on the side door and flip the outback top side down (I have a rope connected to the side handle to help flip it over).
Strap it down and you're done. Do the the reverse to take it down. Before I discovered my bike rack option I laid a moving blanket on the back of the van and pushed the outback on the roof. Doable but easier with my bike rack/caster solution.

I'll explore this option further. My concern is the spoiler on the back may not support the weight, and the antennae is smack in the middle of the rear roof.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Soflokbf wrote:
Not sure what you are using for a battery box but the dyi pelican box is a must.

I was thinking about the Yakattack Cellblok for the Nocqua battery. In theory I should be able to get the excess cabling inside the box, so when I need to move the battery/FF to another boat its a 10 second process. Does Pelican make a waterproof mountable battery holder? I couldn't find one with a quick google.