Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

so i currently have an 07 outback, I fish strictly salt water off shore, right now im not going too far out cause of either not enough time or choppy waters. i keep my kayak stored in a storage area right next to the water so not too much beach launching. im having trouble deciding what new kayak to get, outback is nice but im 6ft 205lbs, so sometimes it feels a little cramped, not to mention moving around on the kayak can be a little sketchy, for example accessing front hatch/ kill bag, keep in mind it is an 07 model so no vantage seat. I really like the storage and stability of the PA models, but all i here from other fisherman is how slow and heavy they are compared to the outback, I dont have a car so im not going to be transporting it anytime soon, my buddy should be getting a kayak soon so we'll probably use his car to transport kayaks on the roof from time to time. so with all things considering was wondering what you guys think, should i try for a newer outback, or go big or go home with one of the pro anglers, and how much slower is the Pro angler 14 compared to the 12 and outback, how much harder is it mounting an securing a pro angler vs an outback to the roof of a car. Any suggestions are appreciated. an yes I have been in all 3 models, but only for about an hour or so.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

you mentioned that you store it next to the water but what about your launches and landings? are they often challenging? I have an outback which I take out in the salt often but I used to use a Jackson big tuna which is over 100 lbs. IT IS NO FUN getting rolled in the surf with a heavy kayak and the PA is even heavier than the big tuna. If your launches and landings can be "adventurous" like they are here on the west coast, I would NOT get a PA. Just my .02.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

PAs are roughly double the weight of an outback, if not actually, then practically. In a real sense, youre going from a kayak to a boat.

You can cartop a PA but youre not going to just pick it up an place it on a luggage rack.

Youtube has wore out the PA v Outback comparison. Avail yourself. They are apples and oranges when it comes to handling both in and out of the water.

Basically in a PA you will:
Work harder to get in and out of the surf.
Work a lot harder to transport it.
Require more effort pedaling to get from point A to B to C, etc.
Will rock more in choppy conditions,
Be considerably more Stable (though this has its limits.)
You will have TONS more storage both above and below deck with everything you want at your fingertips.
You will also have a great wide flat deck area.

While I haven’t seen too much regarding BTB handling characteristics, you left out the Compass which seems to place itself conveniently between the outback and PA. Might be worth looking into. Dont let the similarity in length fool you- A PA 12 is way more like a 14 than an outback.