Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought my first Hobie (Outback) new in 2014, and then, the next year, I purchased another Outback because I had to have the Vantage seat. My son got the 2014 and I've been using the 2015. It's been a great boat and I've logged many hours pedaling , trolling and holding myself stationary against the wind while fishing underwater structure. A couple of weeks ago, I saw a guy on a local lake in a new PA and the boat just looked ... Cool. He wasn't even fishing, just cruising around and using his reverse.
Well, yesterday I went to my local Hobie dealer, and came home with a new PA12. The dealer is at a lake and they let me try the PA14 and PA12. For me, the 12 fit better. I had them install an H-Bar, and anchor trolley. When I got home I installed a Lowrance 7ti.
First thing this morning, the wind was already at 15mph with gust to 25, I knew it would be a difficult day so I grabbed the anchor and rope. I took off from the boat ramp and it's white capping. Instead of heading to a protected cove, I went to a known main lake drop-off. I dropped the anchor in about 30ft of water and floated back over about 14ft of water and tied the anchor off and slid the anchor trolley ring all the way to the front. So I'm sitting there , using a drop-shot and the thought occurs to me, let's stand. I used the H-Bar as a grab handle and leaned against it as a brace. No problem. Then I moved the seat bottom up and had that much more room on the deck to stand. I'm now "finesse" fishing 360* around my boat, in 15-20mph wind and loving it. I caught 5 bass in about an hour and never had to put the seat back down. I could just kneel down on the deck to take care of the fish.
I don't dislike my Outback, but I do love the PA. Even if my Outback had an H-Bar, I wouldn't have been comfortable enough to stay on my feet fishing. Also, I like my Hobies and I did look around at other brands before purchasing but kept coming back to the PA.
Anyways, that's my observation on the PA.

Last edited by Yakerka on Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:22 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Excellent report -- thanks for sharing! 8)