Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro Angler and Height
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, after thinking it over I believe I want to pick up a Pro Angler 12 2019. I have never had a fishing kayak before and I am very excited. However, I am only about 5 ft 7 inches. My concern is my ability to reach the mirage drive pedals with ease and comfort as the seat can't be adjusted forward. I read some reviews that you should be at least 6 ft tall, but that was for older models. Was hoping to get some feedback on height and the pro angler 12, thank you for your feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My wife and I each have a Pro Angler 12, (2013 models). We are 5-6 and 5-7 in height.

The fit is fine. I use the mirage drive at setting 3 and she uses it at setting 2.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Instead of adjusting the seat, you adjust the length of the Mirage Drive pedals. Very easy to do and very effective. You'll be fine.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I’m 5’7” with 30” inseam, the Outbacks fit perfect, the PA14 is a stretch, but doable. Adjusting pedals is great for minor adjustments, but when the seat to pedal distance is too much of a reach and pedals are adjusted all the way, the pedaling motion becomes challenging since it becomes a forward/upward arc. Maybe I’m not describing it well, but you’ll understand the moment you try to paddle a PA14 if you’re a shortie. There’s an extra 3” from seat to pedal in the PA14 over the Outback. I’ve spend a year in a 17 Outback, a year in a PA14 and now I’m in a 19 Outback. Can’t comment on the PA12, but keep it in kind and if possible, demo a couple of different models to be sure. Have fun! They’re all awesome in their own right!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you're still deciding I think the PA12 should be fine. I've measured the distance between the edge of the seat and the center of the pedal drive unit on a almost all of the pedal kayaks on the market and the PA12 is actually not bad. I would not recommend going with a kayak that has seat that slides forward because when you do everything else in the kayak from the rod holders to the rudder steering to the rear hatch is harder to reach. The 2019 Outback is has a larger distance from the edge of the seat to the center of the pedal drive unit than a PA14 by 1" so the new Outback and PA14 will be a stretch.