Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New outback 2019
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone used the new Outback in the open ocean? What I am asking is how it preformed in a swell. Off Newport Or Dana Point. All the videos I have seen are filmed in still waters.
Also how does it preform in reverse, IE turning?

I like all the new hand rails but my Outback is only 2 years old. It has me thinking about trade in value now.

Mark F.

Post subject: Re: New outback 2019
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There is a video on Youtube that shows the OB in surf conditions but its pretty calm. Water comes over the bow very easily which is very disappointing. I'm no expert but I don't know why Hobie would design it that way. It definitely cuts through the waves well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think they designed it that way so it would flush all the blood, slime, and urine off the deck saving the hosing and cleaning of it later. Definitely going to use waterproof Plano boxes. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

LoneWolf wrote:
There is a video on Youtube that shows the OB in surf conditions but its pretty calm. Water comes over the bow very easily which is very disappointing. I'm no expert but I don't know why Hobie would design it that way. It definitely cuts through the waves well.

Disappointing? .would be trying to peddle/paddle a kayak with high gunnels having the wind whip you around. Its a happy medium for the gunnel height. Believe me when i say that I was fishing in a WS Ride 135 while Vlad was fishing in a Pro-Angler and the wind was too much for his boat. The gunnels were just buffeted by the extreme winds and our large size didn't help much either. But there is a lot of wind friction with taller gunnels. A little water coming over the sides and going out the scuppers is a good thing. If your looking for a dry ride, get a sit inside with a skirt, and thats still a wet ride.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I’ve had my 2019 in 24” chop with 10-12 knot winds- Potomac River. The bow is low and you do get some waves that break over it, but it drains immediately through the drive hole, and the front hatch is designed to direct water around it, so nothing in the hull. It’s a good solid ride- not as Comfortable or dry as a PA, but it’s car-toppable solo, and turns, tracks & paddles really well, so I’ll take the trade off.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It handles fantastic in forward and reverse i cane off a 17 Outback to a PA14 and now the 19 Outback. If you want a dry boat ride or if you’re over 6’1”, stay in a Pa14. If you want quickness and agilty, go with the 19 Outback and keep your cockpit clear of loose stuff. It will get washed out. Loving the 19 for working fish!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you go to the open sea, choppy waters and need good cargo capacity, the Hobie Outback up to the 2018 model gives you a good balance between primary and secondary stabilities.

If load capacity and primary stability are not important, Hobie Revolution 13 and 16 are ideal.

I am hopeful that Hobie will once again produce the most versatile of its kayaks, the Hobie Outback until 2018, which is even the most used by fishing operators worldwide.

ex Outback 2014
ex Outback 2013