Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which Hobie for me??
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm another person looking into getting a Hobie kayak. I'm not sure which kayak is the right one for me. I have never kayaked before so really have no knowledge in this area. I have narrowed it down to either the sport or the outback since I'll be doing mostly fishing out of it. I am 5' 10" and 170 Lbs and from what I've read, either kayak would work for me. I'm here in New Mexico where majority of what's considered a lake here is a pond everywhere else so a smaller kayak sounds like a good choice. Most lakes (ponds) I’ll be kayaking in have a surface area of 50 acres or less with the exception of a couple lakes with a surface area of 2400 acres or slightly larger. I know that the best way to make this decision is to try the kayak out myself but the nearest dealer is over 200 miles away from me and I’m not sure if they let people demo the kayaks. I’m thinking the best fix is to get some Hobie dealers here in New Mexico. :D Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:33 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
I'd say the Hobie Sport, will handle you no problem, easy to manuver on and off the water! Congrats on your future Kayak purchase!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info. That's what I thought. I like the size of the sport but the storage capacity and the extra space to mount accessories of the Outback is appealing.

I also have some question. The RAM mounts are a very cool accessory that is being added to these kayaks but I was wondering if the ball mounts present a problem during transportation? I've seen Apalach's sport rigged up and I'm very impressed. Does anyone else have rigged sports? I'd like to see more pics. Also, I was wondering if it is possible to mount a fish finder to the sport and still have room for two forward Ram Rod Mounts for trolling? I haven't seen the Sport in person but I do understand that space is limited.

Post subject: Sport is great!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Welcome, Morteg!

I'm a long time Sport owner, and I love it. One advantage of the Sport and Outback is that they have wider trays and flat surfaces, so each have plenty of room for mounting. Regarding the Sport's storage capacity, I can fit enough stuff for an entire day of fishing. For overnighters, or anything involving camping, you'll want to go with the Outback. For your size, if you go with the Outback, make sure you get a 2007 and not a leftover 2006, since they modified the hull for lighter riders. I'm 5'11", 180lbs, 32" inseam, and the Sport fits me fine (though I do have the pedals set all the way forward, and seat in rearmost position). Concerning balls interfering with transportation, it depends on how you are going to mount your kayak. I know that the balls don't interfere for most, but would in my direct on top of car approach. I think I saw somewhere ball mounts that attach to flush mounts, so you can remove them when transporting yak. The Sport is extremely maneuverable on the water, and when loading/unloading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Whichever you purchase I'm sure you will like it. Was an Outback owner and now have the Revolution. The Outback has a prodigious amount of flat mounting area for stuff like fish finders and rod holders. Don't suppose you will need a gps to find your way on the water. Whatever its a very comfortable boat but not easily paddled for any distance (neither is the Sport).

If looks and proportion mean anything to you, you will be more pleased with the Outback. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I always find that it's better, and cheaper in the long run, to buy more than you need at first so you can grow into it than to buy just what you need now and have grow out of it.
By growing, I mean adding equipment, different areas of use, yada yada yada.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

In that case, get a revolution! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry for posting kind of late on this one.

I have had an Outback for two years now, fishing primarily salt (Long Island Sound) and some fresh water lakes. Love the OB.

Last year I demo'ed the Adventure at a local dealer's demo days. This year I tried the Revolution. Both very nice, but I wouldn't trade my OB for either.

The OB is just better set-up for fishing in my opinion. There may be a slight speed advantage in the A or Revo, but if 90% of the time I am trolling between 1 and 2 mph the speed thing is not a factor.

I just like all the nooks and crannies on the OB for storing things as well as the extra width.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What Val, Doc, New, and Brad said--I have both the Sport (actually my wife's supposedly :oops: ) and the OB, but I spend most of my time in the Sport because of its light weight. It is a bit tight for me at 170 lbs and 5-11, 29 inch inseam, but I still like it. But, the OB, the Revo, or the Sport all will work for you. Soo--if you can, try them all before you decide. But they all have the Mirage Drive, so in the final analysis I don't think you will be unhappy with any of them.