Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anchor Trolley
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anchor Trolley- any preference?
Looking to add an Anchor Trolley to my Outback 2019. Is there any reason NOT to just go with the Hobie Universal? Looks like the Yak attack set up has its fans- any real advantage/disadvantage to either? Am I overlooking something?

Post subject: Re: Anchor Trolley
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I suggest that you install a Hobie universal anchor trolley. An advantage of this trolley system is the section of shock cord, which keeps the trolley rope tight, and will stretch to allow you to put the trolley rope in the zig-zag cleat discussed below. I don't know of any other anchor trolley system which has the bungie cord. I recommend that you make the following additions to the universal anchor trolley system:

1. Buy a zig-zag cleat and install it near your hip. You can use this cleat to lock the anchor trolley in place, and can use the same cleat to tie off your anchor line by zigging with the anchor line where you zagged with the trolley line. Try to find a place to install the zig-zag cleat where it won't get banged when you are moving your kayak around on shore or loading your kayak on your vehicle, upside down on its gunwales, because you can break the prongs off a plastic zig-zag cleat. I know because I've done it. If the location of the zig-zag cleat may expose it to abuse, buy a metal zig-zag cleat rather than a plastic cleat.

2. Replace the rings with two small climbing carabiners. That will allow you to clip your anchor line into the anchor trolley, which is way more convenient than running a loop of anchor line through one of the rings. Don't get cheap lightweight "clip your car keys on the outside of your pack" carabiners. Get real climbing carabiners.

Last edited by pmmpete on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I’ve used the YakAttack Leverloc on my 2017 Outback, the PA14 and now the 2019 Outback. I really like the simple leverloc to hold whichever position I choose, although I rarely anchor since I primarily ocean fish. Have not had a need for a shockcord since the paracord stretches plenty. I’m sure they all have pros and cons. One downsize on the new Outback is the need for well nuts, but it’s a minor inconvenience.. Have fun!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just installed one of the YakAttack LeverLoc's as well on my '17 Outback, haven't had a chance to use it yet but it looks like it will work well. Also bought a QuickCleat to use with it.

Kevin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I went with the Hobie Compass Anchor trolley- it also fits the 2019 Outback.
It’s a well thought out and easy to install trolley. I went with the Hobie over the YakAttack because
Of the shock cord- it keeps it tight but gives enough so an anchor snag in current
Won’t rip a hole in your boat. Also, I use a single ZigZag cleat for my anchor line &
My trolley, so no moving part to fail. I’m happy with the choice- I really don’t think
There’s a big difference with any of them, but that’s my 2 cents.