Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

just like the title states, if you had to choose between the Raymarine DragonFly 5 Pro with maps and the
Hummingbird Helix 5 DI G2 GPS which one and why?

Both are about $325 total (right now I can get a $50 refund card with Hummingbird thru MAR 19)
The Hummingbird seems to have a few more Missouri lakes on the maps.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I own and use both. I fish mostly in 25-150 fow in Lake Michigan. I use the DF in a 2016 PA14, and the Helix in a 2016 Outback or for ice fishing.

I like the DF better for simple open water use. The controls are simpler and the fish marks are clearer. BUT ... the DF transducer is long and really hard to mount in the Lowrance Ready hull pocket of a PA. It requires either some custom plastic surgery or a relatively expensive 3rd party solution. And I am not aware of any smaller CHIRP transducer that could be used for ice fishing. Also, the WiFi on the DF is sketchy, with frequent disconnects that make it worthless. Too bad, because the potential, when paired with Navionics Live mapping, would be great.

The Helix requires way too many keystrokes to remain dialed-in when moving from shallow to deep, marking waypoints, deleting course logs, etc. (None of that matters on the ice though.) I see far fewer fish arches on the Helix than with the DF when fishing the same areas. I can easily see individual perch (most 6-12") in a large school 100 ft down on the DF, but the Helix just shows a blob of reflections, looking like an invertebrate hatch-out or baitfish. So I waste a lot of time jigging ghostly shadows on the Helix that I could quickly identify and just drive by if viewed on the DF.

Short answer: for kayak use only, where transducer mounting is a one-time problem, I would get the Dragonfly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

^^^^^
THANK YOU
I really appreciate the time and effort for the reply.... great info.
I think the 2019 Outback transducer plate fits the Dragonfly with minimal modification.