Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes I know this is the kayak forum, I originally posted in the sailing section but thought it might get more nibbles here. I'm sure a few folks have experience of the Hobie14/16s and are now fishing from a yak so would like to tap into that knowledge bank. Anyways here's my original question>

I've been having good success trolling from my 14 this year and I'm interested in using a fishfinder. I know they're quite commonly used on kayaks but just wondering if anybody had any idea of how practical or even possible it would be to do on the 14 or 16. and if so how would be the best way to setting it up and if anyone has any recommendations that would be great.
I've only just started researching it and I see there's different ways of using the transducer is it possible to have one sitting inside the hull? Or do I need to look at having a mount somehow.

Hobie 16 1985 European Championships Palma 114072

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

YouTube is your friend here. Hundreds of practical how-to videos showing various mount techniques. Simplest sensitive mount is to use a transducer arm with the ducer right in the water. This can cause fouling of line when bringing a feisty fish boatside, however. I am not familiar with your 14/16 boat (I am assuming not a kayak?) But in many cases the next best bet is to use a through-the-hull mount and there are several ways to do that. Google around a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk