Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am ready to pull the trigger on a Lowrance Elite-7 Ti but have a few questions. Number one, is the Hobie Lowrance Total Scan mount now available? Also, does anyone know of a good Lowrance knowledge base or third party website? The Lowrance website itself could be one of the worse designs I have EVER seen. It screams 1999 internet. I am wondering about their product cycle, I thought they refreshed in November, and wondering if anyone knows of a site that might have information on changes to the line of their units. $800 is not going to break me, but it is still a lot of money to spend, and if there is a 7 Ti killer on the way, I would hate to buy now. My Elite-4 Chirp works great, and I can more than get by with it for a while, but I really want Total Scan and the added screen real-estate of the 7. Should I wait, or jump now while the cash is burning a hole in my pocket?

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, the totalscan ducer has been available since inception of the Elite TI units. But I didn't buy the Elite 7 TI for that ducer. I bought it for the faster processor, the swivel base (7 inch also), the touch screen. Plus Navico gave me a deal I couldn't refuse with a 3 1/2 year warranty under their 5 year replacement program. I use the 83/200 HDI ducer and the 50/200 HDI (for deeper salt water) on my two Hobies. Love em.
After using the touch screen this whole summer, I could never imagine going without it.
You can always wait for the next greatest technology but you'll never buy because you keep justifying the wait. Just do it!
NOTE: If you buy the TI unit without the ducer they will include an adapter plug for your blue HDI ducer (current chirp unit) to be usable with the TI black. If I was buying the TI unit for the totalscan ducer only, then I wouldn't do it in your shoes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CR Yaker wrote:
NOTE: If you buy the TI unit without the ducer they will include an adapter plug for your blue HDI ducer (current chirp unit) to be usable with the TI black. If I was buying the TI unit for the totalscan ducer only, then I wouldn't do it in your shoes.

Fresh semi shallow water guy and I love down scan and want side scan imaging. Was planning on moving the Elite-4 and transducer to my guest kayak. I have experience with the total scan and touch on my fathers Ranger's HDS 7 and 12, both Gen 2. I am not one to always wait for the next big thing, it just seems like the Elite 7 Ti has been out for quite a while, and I am fine with the 4 if there is a better option around the corner, say in the next two months. I just cannot find any info on future Lowrance products... Even rumors... If it was a new Hobie Kayak or an iPhone, the information would be everywhere!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, the Lowrance Ready TotalScan transducer mount is available now (part no. 72020207).

Nothing that I've heard of coming out in the near future that'll top the TotalScan for a side imaging transducer by Lowrance.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

As far as kayaks go the 7ti would be hard to beat. I love mine. I got another cover before Lowrance made one for the total scan transducer. Check my other posts for screen shots. If you want more I will see what I have. The 7ti has made finding new structure easier as well as dissecting the stuff I saw before. I can pinpoint the fish better and it is easy to navigate through the menu. Technology is always changing so eventually you will wish you had waited, but this thing is pretty dang awesome for right now and the foreseeable future.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just pulled the trigger on the Elite-7 Ti with TotalScan and the Hobie Lowrance Ready TotalScan mounting plate, from ACK. I wanted to buy local, but 12% sales tax was a deal breaker. I already own the Navionics Plus Chip with updates for another 8 months, so I should be good there.

Anxiously awaiting, and have already started watching all the video's I can find on how to best use it - since I wont be able to get out on the water for a few more hours, as the weather is still pretty sketchy here in St. Louis. I think this is going to be amazing. I am going to use my existing 1" ball mount from my Elite-4 Chirp. Everything I have read suggests using the 1.5" ball, but I think that is because they are thinking Bass Boats beating the heck out of it at 45+ MPH and not me peddling at 4 MPH.

Does anyone use this with the 1" ball versus the 1.5"? I am going to have to buy another mount at some point as I want to move the 4 Chirp to another kayak.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We recommend the 1.5" ball to support the extra weight of the elite 7ti. The problem with the 1" ball is in the play that occurs with the Elite 7Ti mounted to it. Over time the coating on the ball wears off, reducing the friction holding the head unit upright. Again, the 1" ball will work but is not recommended.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I prefer Railblaza rotating platform. Can drill through their platform and attach the included mount with your Elite TI. Now you can turn 360 degrees or swivel back and forth.
But I mount to the small drink holder right next to my seat so I can constantly adjust my screen. If you go this route use their starport mount with an 5" extender, then the platform will mount to that.

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/105 ... Mount.html
http://www.austinkayak.com/products/107 ... -Inch.html
http://www.austinkayak.com/products/107 ... tform.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

HStrech wrote:
We recommend the 1.5" ball to support the extra weight of the elite 7ti. The problem with the 1" ball is in the play that occurs with the Elite 7Ti mounted to it. Over time the coating on the ball wears off, reducing the friction holding the head unit upright. Again, the 1" ball will work but is not recommended.

I am going to use the 1" ball from the elite for right now. I will buy the 1.5" Ram/Lowrance quick release kit and an H-Rail 1.5" Ram ball when I am ready to rig up the other kayak. Also need to buy a ram transducer arm to mount the old HDI transducer on my guest kayak, and a 1" gear track ram ball.

Definitely not looking forward to screwing the behind the seat waterproof grommet off and back on again when I replace the old transducer with the Totalscan. I had to pretty much dislocate my shoulder to do it the first time! Hopefully this will be the last time on this kayak.

I am super excited to get this unit. Could have used it on Sunday and this evening, as I was having a tough time marking fish with the Elite 4 both days.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FedEx delivered my 7 Ti this morning! I was able to get the washer off the back thru hull fitting on my PA and then work blew up. Apparently my customers in Indiana think it is more important that they have phone and Internet service than me getting to install my new Lowrance!

So, 10 hours later, I did get to screw the Transducer onto the Hobie mount.

I will be up with the sun to finish (or restart) the install. Unless something else happens, like Illinois explodes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Was able to find time after work to install the new Lowrance. I forgot how much trouble I had getting the nut onto the thru-hull grommet behind the seat. Next time I will hire a contortionist because my arm is just short enough that finishing this required several bouts of cussing that would make a sailor blush. Sorry Hobie design team...I may have focused several of those profane statements in your general direction!

When I unboxed the TotalScan, I was surprised how large it was, and thought that might be a problem mounted under the kayak. But once you have it mounted to the Hobie LR Total Scan plate and to the kayak, it hides nicely between the Mirage drive and the skegs hinge point. And where I was worried that it might rub on the unistrut if I were to pull it off the trailer, I was happy to find that it hangs down less than half the hight of the 3" PVC I used for the bunks.

A couple of people including Howie have noted I should use the 1.5" RAM ball mount and I wanted to prove them wrong, and keep my existing 1" ball mount, but the unit is heavier than it looks, and the 1" ball will hold it, but I don't trust it. I already ordered new RAM mount and quick release 1.5" ball, along with an H-Rail 1.5" Ram ball. Planning on moving my Elite 4 to my other kayak anyway, so nothing wasted there.

Here is a pictures of the unit mounted in my PA14....

This is a picture of the Transducer mounted to the dirty bottom of my kayak... I had planned on taking the time to fall clean my kayak, but that did not happen... I wanted to get out on the water more than I wanted a clean kayak.

This picture is supposed to show how much space there is between the TotalScan Transducer and the unistrut on my trailer. There is about 2 inches of clearance, which is more than I expected.

One other thing to note. With all the reading and research I did on this Lowrance Elite 7 Ti, I never came across the issue I had trying to use the unit hooked up to my 12v battery on my coffee table. The touch screen would not respond...I thought my unit was bad...but after posting a panicked message here and doing some research I found out what was going on. Lowrance has a nice explanation and simple fix for this in the video link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knlUP4ckLu8

The only thing left to say is I cannot wait to get it on water and teach those bass who's boss! (Right after I figure out how this thing really works, so, maybe by spring)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice job on the install...The access issue to that backing ring is a known drawback with the location of that hatch, but I'll pass the feedback on to our team as a reminder.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, the 1.5" ball is the way to go with the Lowrance Elite 7Ti. I switched my access holes to the Hobie Thru Hull 3-Way Wiring Kits...makes it much easier getting the connectors through and you don't have to deal with the back nut.

Lowrance came out with a software update August 10, which enable the Bluetooth function on the unit. You can now control Power-Pole Shallow Water anchors via the touchscreen.

You will find the Lowrance Elite 7Ti with the Navionics+ to be a winning combination. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Loving the Elite-7 Ti, but not the battery life. Getting a little less than 8 hours a charge on a 9ah battery. I hate that my first indication of battery juicing down in your unit starts flaking out. Just ordered a second Hobie battery holder and will mount the second in parallel with the first to effectively double my amp hours. Question though, in this arrangement, can i plug my charger into the main SAE connection that comes off both batteries and charge both at the same time, or do i need to charge the batteries individually? I know on my dads 24v system, they recommend having the battery tender connected to both individually, even though they are run in series.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Charge both separately will prevent any charging issues.