Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crate idea
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I just bought a used pa12 and am looking at possibilities for crates. I've owned the Yakattack blackpack and the Jackson kcrate in the past. I liked both but I feel like you don't get much for what you spend on them. It appears to be the same with the Hobie crate. I was looking at the Yeti roadie 20 today and was thinking that might be a good way to get your money worth out of an overpriced cooler. I know that they sell their own rod holders but at $40 for a single rod holder, that seems silly. Wondering if anyone else has modified some 3 rod holders to a yeti to make a crate. At least with that, it can double as a cooler/fishbox and you won't feel quite as guilty spending $200 on a cooler, right?

Post subject: Re: Crate idea
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've seen folks use Engel coolers as storage boxes. You can get a 30 quart for about $60. I hear they do not leak.

I don't use crates on either of my kayaks but when I did I just modified a couple of milk crates so that I had a shallow upper tray and a lid (both were hinged with zip ties). Worked fine.