Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello! i hope this is the right subforum to ask the following :)

After some research i have rounded down my choice to the revolution 16 and the outback 2019 ( leaning more towards the revo 16)
All the fishing ( mainly trolling) will be done at sea in an area that has stronger currents and winds. I'm a bigger guy (110kg) and around 190 cm height , and am worried that i wouldn't be able to maintain a cruising speed of 3.5-4.5 mph on the outback 2019 in such conditions....
So if someone has experience with one or both kayaks plz help :)

The following questions are about the upgrades for the revo 16 because i don't have the option to see the kayak in person and select the upgrades and my only leads are pictures that i found online:)

1. Can the hobie ama kit ( catalogue number 72062101 ) be mounted in the area behind the seat, as in, is there enough flat surface to drill and fasten the ama sidekicks ( saw that it is possible on the revo 13 , but the revo 16 is slimmer by 2 centimeters)

2. I was planing on adding one H-rail 9" ( 1 rodholder) on the left side and one h-rail 21"( rodholder + fishfinder) on the right side of the cockpit area ( around the mesh map pockets) and was wondering if the sides of the kayak are wide and flat enough for the h rails to be mounted

3. What other rodholder bases and rodholders would you recommend for trolling, and where best to place them on the revo 16

4. what lowrance fishfinders ( transducers ) are available and compatible with the revolution 16 ( the cost is irrelevant)

Sorry if my sentences are weird , english in not my language :) , Tnx in advance :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Vedran88
I just purchased both the 2019 Outback as well as the 2019 Revo 16 in April And May of this year.
Yes you can mount the Hobie sidekicks on the Revo 16, I have done so behind the seat and they work just fine. (See my post in the open kayak on wellnuts)
I understand your concern about the speed differential between the Outback and the Revo 16 . The Revo is faster than the Outback and the Outback is much more stable than the Revo as well as being an ideal fishing vessel . If you’re a large person who is interested in mainly kayak fishing then the Outback is the way to go due to the fact that it is setup as a fishing platform kayak. I would also strongly recommend that you test drive each kayak for yourself rather than taking my word for it. After a few hours test ride on each kayak I think you will easily answer your own questions. If you want my opinion, then I’d recommend the Outback or the PA’s. Installing the Hobie 9’ rail kit on the Revo is difficult, the back up bar does not fit and you cannot reach in to the back side with a tool to use the locknuts. I struggled to mount the rail track and it was not fun. I finally had to use the T-Rivet style Pop Rivets to mount the rail in order to have some way to mount my fish finder on the Revo 16. The mounted rails are pretty solid now so no worries but The Outback comes with H Rails so there’s no struggle to mount anything and the tool trays are great as well as the tool cord attachments. If you really want to kayak fish a lot the Outback is a great fishing kayak , I really like it.
Bottom line though I would strongly suggest you get with your local Hobie dealer and test drive them both before making a decision, I think you’ll figure out which one you want fairly quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

kepnutz wrote:
Hi Vedran88
I just purchased both the 2019 Outback as well as the 2019 Revo 16 in April And May of this year.
Yes you can mount the Hobie sidekicks on the Revo 16, I have done so behind the seat and they work just fine. (See my post in the open kayak on wellnuts)
I understand your concern about the speed differential between the Outback and the Revo 16 . The Revo is faster than the Outback and the Outback is much more stable than the Revo as well as being an ideal fishing vessel . If you’re a large person who is interested in mainly kayak fishing then the Outback is the way to go due to the fact that it is setup as a fishing platform kayak. I would also strongly recommend that you test drive each kayak for yourself rather than taking my word for it. After a few hours test ride on each kayak I think you will easily answer your own questions. If you want my opinion, then I’d recommend the Outback or the PA’s. Installing the Hobie 9’ rail kit on the Revo is difficult, the back up bar does not fit and you cannot reach in to the back side with a tool to use the locknuts. I struggled to mount the rail track and it was not fun. I finally had to use the T-Rivet style Pop Rivets to mount the rail in order to have some way to mount my fish finder on the Revo 16. The mounted rails are pretty solid now so no worries but The Outback comes with H Rails so there’s no struggle to mount anything and the tool trays are great as well as the tool cord attachments. If you really want to kayak fish a lot the Outback is a great fishing kayak , I really like it.
Bottom line though I would strongly suggest you get with your local Hobie dealer and test drive them both before making a decision, I think you’ll figure out which one you want fairly quickly.

I put the Lowrance Hook2 series 5” fish finder on my Revo 16 and transferred my Lowrance Hook 4 from my Revo 13 to my Outback since I bought the Outback first etc.