Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I finally made the choice to buy my first Hobie Kayak. I am buying my wife the Passport, she will mainly be using it for recreational use...I am buying a kayak mainly for fishing, sometimes recreational.

For myself, having a hard time picking between the Mirage Sport OR Rev 11 OR Passport.

I am 5'5 130 pounds. Fishing will be in lakes, rivers, and more inland bay water. No open ocean, no really rough waters.

-Mirage Sport: the length seems really great to manage, but worried it won't handle as well as the Rev 11 or Passport.
-Rev 11: is almost 12 feet so a bit harder to handle, but hear its faster and manages rougher water than the Sport.
-Passport: basic model, length right in the middle at 10.5, but doesn't come with the vantage chair or the 180 miragedrive.

Whats a fella to do? Anyone have experience using all three, especially between using/owning both the Sport and the Rev 11?

Thoughts and recommendations most appreciated!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:12 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Guy, welcome to the forum. It's best to demo the boats first. Nevertheless, here are my impressions:

The Revo 11 is the fastest and quietest of the three. This allows you to get to your destination quickest and in rivers, gives you a greater upstream potential. This is also the easiest to paddle if you're so inclined.

The Revo and the Sport both have some nice features such as side pockets, a front hatch, more and better water holders, etc. They both come with the MD 180 Drive if pedaling backwards is important.

The Sport has a little more initial stability and with trays on the sides, would appeal to some fishermen. The Sport would fit you well size wise -- a little shorter cockpit than the others.

The Passport is a no frills boat for a no frills price and would also fit your needs. I don't think the seat is quite as comfortable.

Two accessories you would probably want are the Sailing rudder (only available on Revo 11 and Sport) and a cart for easy transportation. The large rudder really improves low speed maneuverability, which is important when fishing, especially in rivers. Without it, all the boats are sluggish at or below about 1.5 MPH.

You mentioned weight. The Revo 11 is only 3 lbs. heavier than the sport and the Passport is 4 lbs. heavier -- not enough difference to worry about IMO.

For the speed and quiet running, the Revo 11 with Sailing rudder and Turbofins would be my first choice. The Sport is a good all around boat and would be my second choice. The Passport would be my budget choice. Any of them will work for you, so pick whatever meets your needs best! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thats so much Roadrunner. I have searched the internet for good comparisons between these yaks and your response is awesome!

So I'll pick between the Sport and the Rev 11. Either way I will add turbo fins and the sail rudder as you suggested.

They have the same seat, same mirage 180, about the same weight.

The biggest differences I now see between the two are:

Sport
-Small length so easier to manage and load,
-Trays so attaching rails would be flushed,
-A bit better stability but a tad slower,
-Can't handle as much weight,
-Lowarance ready

Rev 11
-Almost 12ft so a bit harder to manage and load,
-Ability to handle more weight,
-Faster on the water, ability to cut through waves a bit better,
-Quieter on the water,
-Not Lowarance ready

As you mentioned both are solid yaks. Now I just need to pick one.

Again, appreciate your suggestions!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the great info @Roadrunner.

I'm also debating between the Passport, Sport, and Rev 11. I'm planning on doing more paddling, and I don't fish, so I was going to do some recreational kayaking on small lakes and small rivers. You mentioned that Rev 11 would be the easiest to paddle. What makes the Rev 11 easier to paddle?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 2’ length difference gives the Revo about a 0.5 mph hull speed advantage over the Sport which will be quite noticeable against any current or tides.

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:19 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

albertski wrote:
Thanks for the great info @Roadrunner.

I'm also debating between the Passport, Sport, and Rev 11. What makes the Rev 11 easier to paddle?
The Revo 11 is a little narrower. This gives you a little more versatility with your stroke. It also handles chop from headwinds best of the three so you can make better upwind progress. The key to good paddling with any of these is to make sure the rudder is down, locked and no slack in the rudder lines (actually the Passport uses a slightly different rudder system). If the rudder can wiggle, tracking suffers. I get best handling results with the larger sailing rudder.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm also looking at the Sport or Revo 11. Can anyone comment on use on smaller rivers with decent flow (up to. class 1 rapids) paddling with the rudder up?
We currently have 3 Hobies (Lanai, Maui, Oasis) and a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100. We use the single paddle yaks for the rivers and the Oasis for lake cruising, including on the Great Lakes. We have taken the Oasis (without Mirage drives) down many rivers, but it's a real workout to maneuver around obstacles.
We want to add one more single and I'd like it to be versatile enough to pedal on the lakes and also be fun to take down the rivers. Based on my research to date, I would pick the Revo 11 but would appreciate input from anyone who has used both.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:59 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

f18sailor wrote:
I'm also looking at the Sport or Revo 11. Can anyone comment on use on smaller rivers with decent flow (up to. class 1 rapids) paddling with the rudder up? We want to add one more single and I'd like it to be versatile enough to pedal on the lakes and also be fun to take down the rivers. Based on my research to date, I would pick the Revo 11 but would appreciate input from anyone who has used both.
None of the Mirage Drive Hobies paddle well with the rudder up. With no skeg, the boats are directionally unstable (will veer right or left). For shallow water, I like this (cut down sailing rudder):

An inch shallower than the small rudder, It's only about two inches below max. boat draft and kicks up harmlessly and resets if it hits anything, even when locked down. It functionally replaces the skeg yet retains excellent authority as a rudder (much better than the small rudder).

I concur with your preference for the Revo 11.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That Guy I'm sure you have probably made your decision by now. If not keep resale value in mind. The Sport would be a lot harder to sale if that time ever comes than the Revo 11 (at least in the market where I live). I've seen Sports a few years old sale for less than half of they're original cost. Revo 11's bring more money and sell faster on the used market (again where I'm at in Texas).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:27 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Also, don't forget the Sport has a shorter cockpit. IMO, if you are 5'9" or taller (depending on your instep), the Sport is short on leg room for efficient pedaling. always good to try before buying.8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had two of these kayaks Rev 11 and Passport. the second (Passport) was more practical, but I liked the Rev 11, but I quickly got tired on it, and to continue using this particular kayak, I just take pre-workout powders from https://www.nhc.com/curamed-750-mg-by-terry-naturally they are usually used by athletes to increase their endurance, but I use them to keep myself from getting tired longer when swimming. Who has the same problem, can you share information about how you solve this problem? I will be happy to hear your solutions.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If(and when) you get caught in a wind storm, the Revo with turbo fins and a sail rudder is probably the safest kayak to be on.(of the three)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My opinion is based mainly 0n the narrow bow. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Swfinatic wrote:
That Guy I'm sure you have probably made your decision by now. If not keep resale value in mind. The Sport would be a lot harder to sale if that time ever comes than the Revo 11 (at least in the market where I live). I've seen Sports a few years old sale for less than half of they're original cost. Revo 11's bring more money and sell faster on the used market (again where I'm at in Texas).

I know this is an old post but for those who are thinking of buying a Hobie I personally dont think you should buy a kayak, especially a Hobie with its resale value as a factor. You buy a Hobie to use it not sell it. Buy a Hobie thats going to work the best for you on the water and to fit your transporting needs if thats a factor.