Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reel Deal
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone,

I'll start from the beginning. This summer i've tried to fish first time in my life. My dad took me out town for a fishing lesson, which i'd asked for. At the beginning i was frustrated, but when i got my first fish... Oh my... I was happy as a kid :lol: My dad gave me his spinning, and now i go fishing with my family a few times a month. My elder son got this passion for fishing too, so we often go out of town, camp, and chill.

I want experienced fishermen to help me with choosing a new reel because my one is very outdated and it spins around not smoothly, even my dad doesn't know when he bought it. I'm interested in spinning reels for inshore fishing. Which one do you use and why? Which one would you recommend for newbie? Any nuances about servicing reel and spinning in general? I found a comparative review about reels, i'll attach it here. What do you think about Shimano reels? Especially interested in Stradic.

Waiting for your feedback. Especially interested in Shimano reels, my dad said that they had not bad reels. I need more info ;)

Post subject: Re: Reel Deal
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey There!

I have been fishing most of my life and kayak fishing for the past ten years or so.

I grew up in Philadelphia, formerly the home of Penn Reels. As a result I am a fan of Penn's and actually own ten of them. Shimano's are also good. One reel company with whom I have been impressed lately is Tsunami, especially their new surf reels. Don't know as much about their other lines, but I hear good things.

If I am you, and I am just getting into fishing, I would offer this advice:

1. In general, you get what you pay for. Cheaper reels are fine for every now and then fishing, or for really light or fresh water fishing. However, the components will be cheaper and less well made, and will be less durable.

2. Spinning reels require maintenance to function at their best. This involves taking them apart, stripping out any old grease, replacing any worn or corroded parts and re-packing with marine reel grease. You can do this yourself and many of my friends do, but I prefer to have it done once per year for my main reels and more often if I haver them join the surf or if they "take a swim".

3. Get a reel that is made by a major manufacturer. It will make getting it maintained and getting parts much easier. The major brands also have an investment in making good gear and maintaining a good reputation. You can leverage that if you buy one.

4. Buy from a local fishing or tackle store if you can. Develop a relationship with these folks and you'll be able to get tips on fishing spots, what is biting what baits and your local business owner will have an investment in your satisfaction with the gear you buy from him/her.

5. If you don't have a local option, there are "local" stores that have major online presences and great reputations. Tackle Direct in NJ and J and H Tackle in Long Island are examples. These are good people who stand behind what they sell and they ship nation wide.

6. Tackle Advisors on YouTube is an excellent objective third party reviewer of rods and reels. He has excellent reviews of reels in which he takes them apart, tests them, etc. I would encourage you to check out his channel and see if you can find reviews of reels that you're considering.

Most of all, good luck and have fun!

Mike