Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the original livewell and the last time I went to use it I found a large crack or split right along the seam below the front carry handle. Searching this forum, it appears to be a common issue. On the inside, the plastic gets very thin right along the molding line for some reason.
This livewell is no longer under warranty but it was barely used until now and it nothing happened that could have damaged it like this. I can try tape to repair but this shouldn’t be happening on a $400 product. Is this a known issue that Hobie can offer any support on, such as tank minus the hardware pump and hatch? I’m not the original owner so I hate to bother my dealer with this, but it wasn’t even used until last year and I still paid good money for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That's unfortunate. As a backup plan you can pick up a roll of Flex Seal Tape for about $15 and solve your problem and go fishing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Swfinatic wrote:
That's unfortunate. As a backup plan you can pick up a roll of Flex Seal Tape for about $15 and solve your problem and go fishing.

I might resort to that, but given how big this crack is (it follows along most of the seam on the handle side and has a big curve to it), I’m concerned about it just flexing back and forth until it loses the seal. It really seems like either a design or molding defect to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Flex seal will allow it to flex and still retain the seal.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm having the same issue except that the cracks are everywhere. The worst of it is one of the little thingies that the cord wraps around to keep the battery cover in place. One of those completely came off.

But I have a plan. Hopefully the plastic is the same as the kayak and if so I am going to try to fix all the cracks and holes with the repair kit and provided plastic rods from Fastlane in SD. This should fix all the current damage but the reality is that the whole tank is extremely brittle and will fall apart sooner than later despite fixes. So, I am planning on attaching fiberglass and resin to the entire inside. This will hopefully reinforce every part of the tank with very minimal added weight.

Wish me luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

theportraitist wrote:
I'm having the same issue except that the cracks are everywhere. The worst of it is one of the little thingies that the cord wraps around to keep the battery cover in place. One of those completely came off.

But I have a plan. Hopefully the plastic is the same as the kayak and if so I am going to try to fix all the cracks and holes with the repair kit and provided plastic rods from Fastlane in SD. This should fix all the current damage but the reality is that the whole tank is extremely brittle and will fall apart sooner than later despite fixes. So, I am planning on attaching fiberglass and resin to the entire inside. This will hopefully reinforce every part of the tank with very minimal added weight.

Wish me luck.

I patched mine with flex tape. It’s ok for now but I do expect it till break down further over time. I bought a plastic welding kit from Harbor Freight that I might try if it gets worse. Good luck with your fix.