Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wondering where "balanced weighted center" point is to put Hobie Revolution 13 on car rooftop crossbars?

I assume side handles are weighted center but just wanted to check since handles are a tad fewer inches from the back versus front (so I guess back half weighs a tad more).

Also when I center side handles on factory crossbars, the "paddle holder bungee strap" gets pinched between kayak and front crossbar. Cant slide kayak much back or forward otherwise the round bungee strap holder scrapes the front crossbar or kayak gets more "tippy" on roof rack. A minor annoyance but just wondering if others encounter this and what to do (am sure it depends on spacing and/or shape of crossbars since I did not have this annoyance on my previous Yakima racks). For now, I tie a small rope loop near rear of bungee to slip over the round screw so the tension is near rear of bungee instead of an exact "V" so that pulls bungee back a bit away from crossbar but thought to ask ask if anybody has better idea.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

I usually carry kayaks and surfboards / SUPs with sterns forward. Maybe that can help?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I lift my revo 3 and outfitter duo by handles onto roof bars. Both seem to be balance points walking with them over head. Assume Outback will be same story.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I carry my Revo 13 upside down holding the carry handles. I have the seat removed. The balance point seems to be the seat cross bar so I wear a loose hat and stuff rag padding underneath it. This makes it easier on my skull.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt, for a roof top carry of my 2020 PA 12, do you recommend the 2 wide straps go over top of the rails or underneath?