Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How does the MIRAGE PRO ANGLER 14 WITH 360 DRIVE do w big boys? I'm about 400lbs, I see a capacity of 600 but that is max capacity, not performance and the seat itself says it has a 350lbs weight limit? Would I have to wait until I get down to 350 or can I use it at more? How would it perform with me n gear around 450-500? I'm starting by using it in Dana Point n Newport Harbors, our ranch (that has a deep river and small lake) and San Diego Bay to get exercise and some light fishing in relatively calm waters for the first year or so. Then as I lose weight, I'd like to take it inshore fishing next summer....but I'll still be 300+ for a year or so. Is this a good fit for me? :?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As I own a PA-14 since 2013, I think the kayaks 600 pound capacity is just what you need....and that you have identified the seat weight limit of 350 pounds.

I really don't know how much fudge factor over the 350 pound limit Hobie holds close to their chest, no doubt it can handle a little more weight, but the seat is expensive to replace if you break it.
Losing weight, to get you under the max weight limit is smart....once you are ready to go, using the PA-14 will give you a good workout and help to keep you fit and maybe even lose more weight!

Good luck with your dieting 8)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is truly speculation, but most weight rating come with an engineering safety factor build in, i.e. I would be highly surprised if the seat performs any differently at 349 vs 351 lbs.

I will say I have enjoyed my PA 14 for fishing and the sneaky exercise it gives you, I have leg muscles I've never had before. I've pushed my PA over 200 miles so far since Feb! (according to my fish finder). Best of luck on the weight lose journey, I bet a trip or two a week in a kayak helps the cause!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm currently ~305 and I regularly use my TI with its seat capacity of 275 without any issues. I do keep the seat in the lowest position to not put any extra stress on the mechanisms to raise/tilt. Also I have found that sailing doesn't help with the weight loss... go figure. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just got a new Lynx. It’s rated for 350 lbs, but there’s a sticker on it that says 1 person - 275 lbs MAX. I weigh 287 so the store I bought it from called Hobie. They said it would be fine as long as I don’t “plop down on it”

I took it out today and had zero problems with it.