Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If your fish finder's sonar features are malfunctioning, try hosing out the transducer pocket on your kayak. Sand and other debris in the pocket may be interfering with the sonar signals.

I have a Humminbird fish finder which I like a lot, but during the last couple of weeks its sonar functions started malfunctioning pretty badly. The GPS functions were working well. At first, periodically the fish finder would switch from registering the actual depth of the water, such as 200 feet, to registering only 1 or 2 feet for a second or so. During those periods a mostly blank strip would appear on the screen, and I couldn't see the bottom of the lake or fish in the water column. These glitches became more and more frequent, until a few days ago I could only see the full water column for about one out of every ten seconds. Then it started showing a blank orange screen for extended periods of time. This was not very helpful.

I decided that the fish finder was pooping out, and started researching new fish finder options. I know a lot of people who get quite poor performance from their fish finders, and was concerned that if I bought a new fish finder, it wouldn't provide the excellent performance which my current fish finder used to provide.

Then I happened to stick my finger into the transducer pocket on the bottom of my Revolution, and discovered that it contained a lot of sand. I wondered if the sand was interfering with the sonar signal, so I hosed out the transducer pocket.

Bingo! My fish finder's sonar function is performing flawlessly, without a single glitch. So I'm going to start hosing out the transducer pocket after each trip.

If you get a lot of sand in your transducer pocket when doing beach launches, and the sand is interfering with your sonar signal, you could attach a hose to a bilge pump and use it to clean out your transducer pocket when you're on the water.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:13 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Excellent tip! Maybe even open it up every once in a while to check for marine growth.