Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cable Tightness
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I recently had my ARC 180 Mirage drive repaired with a new spine and bearings. The 3 cables are very tight. No flex whatsoever when pushed. This is the second time they have come back from the shop like this. The Hobie dealer who did the work did not send it to Hobie proper but just ordered the parts and installed them. How much flex should the cables have? 1/8th inch? I am not a weak person per se, 6'3" 240 lbs. I also pull my drive at take out and put it in when on the water and don't grind it in the sand. Washed thoroughly with clean water after every trip which is about once a week. I have had lots of problems with the bearings making noise and needing replacement. The spine eventually started to show the wear of these bearing disintegration's and needed replacement. I have an older V2 drive with turbos that is 11 years old and still works perfectly. The cables are not as snug as the 180 but there are no bearings to deal with.

Post subject: Re: Cable Tightness
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I guess Matt posted an answer to this question. I saw it on another post. https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... ue#p317546

Post subject: Re: Cable Tightness
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The cables should not be that tight, the drive components will wear out quickly or the cables will snap. When I check drives I look for about 1/4" of play on each side. The drives are repaired by the dealers and I've done a lot of them. Occasionally I get a drive from Hobie that is too tight and I adjust them, figure it is just a new person in the assembly plant that doesn't know any better.

Kevin