Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Life is good when the stripers are hitting topwater!

My Outback is perfect for trolling a Redfin at just the right speed, a striper guide boat happened to be a few hundred yards away when this one blew up on lure!

They were envious as he pulled me around with a doubled over rod!

Pictures here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/petegreenway/LakeOuachita4262009?feat=directlink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow, that's a nice fish!

We have stripers that are stocked in the rivers here in NW Florida but I haven't had time to try and target them yet. Every once and awhile I'll "accidentally" catch a small one when trying to catch catfish with cutbait but I haven't been able sucessfully catch the big boys.

Is there anything special you have to do to target these fish? What kind of topwater do you use?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

http://www.landbigfish.com/tacklestore/ ... fm?PID=657

I use the C10. You want to troll or retrieve it slow enough so it stays on top and creates a V-shape wake as it wobbles slightly. The strike is ferocious, you have to discipline yourself not to jerk and try to set the hook or you'll sometimes pull it away from them, I've seen them hit it 4 or 5 times before the actually have it. Once they have it your rod doubles over and they pretty much set themselves. It's very important to have your drag set correctly, because they do run straight down with it!

A lot of guides use free swimming live shad or large minnow on balloon lines, a lot of the really big fish are caught that way. We have them up to 60lbs or more here, so the one I caught was small by comparison, but I'm not complaining, it was fun.

I hope to hook a really big one someday, that one is about the largest I've caught, so far.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

River Stripers from the Brazos

The fish below were caught about 100 miles above my home in Waco and the picture comes from a post yesterday on TexasKayakFisherman.com: http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=121793

Thought y'all might enjoy reading it.

Ray

Phone: 254-772-3520

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Harold,
Thanks for the link, nice depiction of your day. We've had a lot of flooding here in May and the water is just getting back to normal pool on the upper lake (Ouachita). I'm going try to fish a similar setting below Carpenter Dam on Lake Catherine Sunday evening if the flood gates are closed.

I usually just use artificial baits, less hassle because I'm usually multi-species fishing on a trip anyway. I know the really big stripers are usually caught on live bait here also using balloon rigged shad, minnows or perch.

Pete