Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro Angler & the Saints
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good God!…I don’t know if life could get any better. I just bought my first yak (Pro Angler) this past weekend and the Saints are going to the Super Bowl!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:02 am 
Hobie Team Member

Congrats on the new boat! Yer gonna love it!

As to the Saints... call 1-800-555-1212 to donate sweaters for the people in hell. :D

Who Dat?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Yak...sorry about the mess you guys have down there. Have you been able to find a place that you can fish that hasn't been affected by the spill?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:29 am 
Hobie Team Member

Your concern is appreciated. It's easy to avoid affected areas. It's really not as bad as the media would have you believe. An area I saw that was affected three months ago near Pass a Loutre in Plaquemines Parish already has new grass growth. The new grass is is already about three feet tall. I haven't heard of any noteworthy fish kills. I'm taking a wild guess here but based on what I've heard we're talking about something easily less than 5% of the pelican and shore bird population that was affected.

Don't get me wrong.... it's a bummer but it's just not, IMO, ecologically "catastrophic." (Economically it has indeed been ugly and will continue to be ugly for several years to come. I think the commercial fishing fleet will suffer for years.)

We have an inshore tournament scheduled for this Saturday down in lower Terrebonne Parish, south of Houma, La. Terrebonne Parish borders the Barataria Basin which was one of the hardest hit areas. It's such a non-issue that oil hasn't even been mentioned in our website's thread discussing the tournament. We did move the HQ for our autumn tournament, Fall-n-Tide," a little further inshore but that decision had to do with accommodations more so than oil.

Tight lines!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just noticed in the photo's you posted way back when, that you have waders on. My Walmart store just started carrying a lot more trout and walleye stuff, and one of note is waders. Some like you seem to have on, and then a neoprene type. I was just going to ask the troops what they thought of having waders on in a Kayak. I didn't know if it might be dangerous is you were to fall out. However; I have a PA,and as you are aware it is very stable. In the winter, the water up here is very cold, and I have to get in it to some degree to launch and remove my boat, and they would make it a bunch simpler, and I am thinking a lot warmer too. What's your take?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:08 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Waders + chest belt + proper PFD = virtually unsinkable.

However, what you probably saw me wearing is bib style rain pants. The rain paints can't be flooded with water. Add white rubber shrimpers boots, one size to big, and some good wool socks and I'm ready to fish.

Get on You Tube and search for Waders of Death. Very enlightening.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Gad, waders of death...I can hardly wait :shock: Thanks for the heads up though.
you wear the rain pants to stay dry, or insulation from the cold? The boots one size too big so they would come off if you do go in the water? I pretty much have to get in the water to launch the boat in a lot of the putin's, so I was thinking the neoprene waders would not only keep me dry, but warm. Your thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:19 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Yep, I wear the rain pants to stay dry AND to help ward of the col temps in the morning. Pretty much anything that's waterproof makes a good start at being windproof too.

Wearing boots that are one size two big bonuses... I can wear liner socks and thick wool socks and, as you mentioned, it's easier to kick them off if I needed to.

If you're launching where you have to wade into the water then the waders would obviously be a better choice. Don't let the title "Waders of Death" make you nervous. His whole little video is designed to show you that "waders of death" are a myth and nothing more than a myth.