Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

This might be a bit long for some. If that's you, you can skip to the pictures at the end...
I headed down to South Florida this past weekend for my first kayak fishing surf launch/landing and what a blast it was. On Saturday, I launched my Revo 13 and my buddy launched my PA 14 (first time on a kayak for him). The waves were about 2ft. and there was a rolling swell with little chop. We saw 4 sailfish (or one sail 4 times :wink: ) and we caught a couple of snapper, a trigger, and a grunt. We both had no problem surf landing.

Sunday I headed down to Pompano with my PA 14 and met up with some of the Space Coast Kayakers. 2 of us had pedals and the 2 others did not. We picked up some Goggle Eyes and and Pilchard and headed to the beach for a monstrous haul in the soft sand down to the water. The surf was calm and we all had no problem getting BTB.
Getting to the wrecks was a big challenge for the paddlers as the wind had picked up and the current was moving 2.5mph. But it was fun getting there as we spotted a Sail chasing some bait and had a Cobia lurking under our kayaks (unfortunately we were not geared up for the Cobia)
The other Hobie (Ed in an Outback) got on the wreck first and pulled up a nice AJ. When I made it to the wreck, I realized that my fishfinder was not working and I had a hard time guessing where to drop. Ed had no problem and pulled up another Jack, this time, it was an Almaco.
The paddlers headed in before Ed and I did and we decided to do a little trolling to finish out the day. I had a Goggle Eye on a stinger rig and a Stretch 25 on another line. About halfway back to the launch, I noticed that my bail was not closed on the Goggle Eye reel and I only had about 10 wraps on the spool! I started reeling in the line and when the line was about halfway spooled, the line starts screaming! What a fight! This thing was dragging my PA and when I could get line in, it would make another screaming run. Ed and I were wondering if it was a shark, a King, or maybe even a Wahoo. I finally got it to the surface and it was a massive King.
I led it over to Ed so he could gaff it and after it bled for a bit, I was able to land it, a 50+ inch Smoker! The thing was almost the length of the PA's cockpit.
We headed in and the surf landing went smoothly but the haul to the parking lot was a bear but all 4 of us had a great time getting out there.
On my way back home, I stopped by a by a friend's house in West Palm where we filleted the King, I took a couple chunks for Monday's dinner and the rest got smoked on a Green Egg and was shipped to me overnight (after my friend took his fair share).
I can't wait to get back down there.

By the way, I called Navico (Lowrance) on Monday and they said I had a busted transducer and that they would mail me a new one under warranty. Guess what just showed up at my front door? I've heard nightmares about their service but I have to say that they were friendly and professional and solved my problem in less than 48 hours.

Ed with his two Jacks and me with my King:

A few more shots:
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a4da0 ... /ry%3D480/
On the Big Green Egg:

Last edited by Wndrfl on Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Awesome, sounds like a blast! Great pictures as well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice!
I have seen that Outback before, I am almost sure of it. I fish Dania and occasionally Pompano Beach too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You will see it this weekend if you join us fishing this coming Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thinking about it. Trust me!
Its either Pompano or Dania (closer to me) for kingfish this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You look familiar....were you at the Extreme Kayak tournament? Nice narritive and photos....that fish looks very tasty on the barbie.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

JohnMcKroidJr.,

Yup,

I was at the EKFT this past Saturday and in June. As you know, the most recent was epic; 46lb Cobia, Sails, and tons of BIG Kings. I ended up with 2 Kings (26.3lb and a 4.2lb) but they weren't enough to put me in the money (plus, under 5lb doesn't count...but it sure does taste good :wink: ). I can't wait to get back down there.

Did we speak to each other at the EKFT? How did you do out there?

Here's a picture of the 26lb King from Saturday: