Return to Hobie.com

Hobie Forums

It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We are taking a break from the cold and wet Pacific Northwest winter by exploring the desert southwest looking for kayak fishing opportunities.

It's nice to have such beautiful weather in December. There's plenty of kayak fishing potential around here and not too many fishermen.

We need to refine our lure collection a bit to switch from smallmouth to largemouth bass fishing, but I did manage to get a decent largemouth bass within an hour of launching the kayak.

We are going to be doing a lot of exploring and a lot of kayak fishing so I'll post photos and videos when I can. You can keep track of the fishing adventures on my blog. Internet access and phone coverage can be sketchy, but I'll post when I come into town for supplies.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We've been fishing for largemouth bass on Mittry Lake in southwest Arizona just north of Yuma on the Colorado River. The weather has been pretty nice, especially for the end of December. Pretty spectacular sunrises and sunsets over the desert.

We've been camping out along the Colorado River. There are a number of places to camp, many of them are free. It is "dry camping", there are no facilities beyond perhaps a pit toilet and a couple fire rings.

There is a lot of kayak fishing potential here and most of the spots are perfect for kayak fishing.

The fishing started off slow for us, I think the cold water temperature had something to do with it, but we are learning how to fish a new area so we have to learn the ropes. The past few days, things really started to turn around for us and we started to catch some pretty decent sized largemouth bass almost every day. Caught a couple catfish as well.

We are in town getting some gear squared away but we will be back out in the desert looking for more largemouth bass in a day or two. You can follow us on the watermanatwork.com blog and I will post some of the photos here.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I installed a new solar power system to charge electronic devices, camera and fishfinder batteries, so we are staying out in the desert longer and longer to do more kayak fishing. Less time in town to use the internet and update my blog, here's the latest:

Getting the kayak ready for an early morning launch on Mittry Lake

Sunrises and sunsets can be pretty spectacular here. In the low 40's some mornings, it can be a little chilly

Here's a nice largemouth bass caught early in the morning at Mittry Lake

All the bass we catch are released unharmed, maybe a sore jaw

A lot of fishing is tight in the reeds. A kayak is perfect for this and there are big fish in here

Caught a striped bass, pretty common throughout the lower Colorado River. This one is a little skinny.

The only thing that keeps us from kayak fishing is the wind. When it's windy, there are other places to fish where you don't need to launch the kayak

We are headed back out into the desert, I'm working on a kayak fishing for largemouth bass in the desert video while we wait out a stretch of windy weather and you can check out the watermanatwork.com blog, where there is nothing for sale.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Spending more and more time in the desert and on the Colorado River. Fishing has been pretty good. This area is a gold mine for kayak fishermen, especially during the winter months.

Loading up with water for an extended trip into the desert

Kayak fish camp in the Arizona desert

Kayak fishing for largemouth bass. There are fish everywhere in this lake

Some nice largemouth bass are waiting for the lucky kayak fisherman

A few big catfish out there as well

Not a bad place to be in the winter

Kayak fishing for largemouth bass action

Some big bass around. They'll get fatter as we get closer to spring.

Headed back out into the desert for more kayak fishing. Will check back soon.