Return to Hobie.com

Hobie Forums

It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A revolutionary kayak that can be peddled, paddled, and sailed - all at the same time if desired.
With the mirage drive system, it is like a recumbent bike that moves through the water easily at running speed. Add paddling for a phenomenal cardiovascular upper and lower body workout.

With the full dagger board, sailing rudder, outriggers, and sail it is a well designed sailboat that performs nicely in close reach, beam reach, broad reach and running before the wind points of sail.

The sailing rig has been thoughtfully upgraded with high end mainsheet (purple in pics), blocks, and camcleat.
The roller furler system has also been upgraded. This allows sailing in higher wind conditions by simply pulling a line (blue in pictures) that reduce sail area by rolling the sail partially or fully around the mast.

I have sailed this 16 foot sea kayak on Lake Pleasant in light breezes as well as winds exceeding 30 miles per hour with whitecaps and it performs really well.

In the right conditions, it becomes a thrilling 16 foot surfboard. Peddling and paddling while catching the large wakes from powerboats becomes a surfing experience. Riding the large waves when the wind is up becomes even more thrilling surfing.

This Hobie Sailing Kayak has been lovingly maintained and I would never sell it except I am upgrading to a Hobie Adventure Island. It has always been stored in our garage. I transport it on top of my station wagon and have a system for easy single person launch and load.

Purchased new in 2016 from Lower Gear Outdoors in Tempe Arizona
• Paid 2647.37
• Additional included:
o Hobie Mirage Kayak sail kit with 10 foot mast: 379.
o Hobie Kayak Sail Furler kit: 67.
o Hobie sailer rudder upgrade: 34.
o Hobie Mirage Adventure Daggerboard: 122.
o Hobie Sidekick Ama Outrigger kit: 186.
o Mirage drive - included
o Hobie premium kayak paddle - included
Total of upgrades: 788.
Kayak cost: 2647.37
Total value: 3435.37

See pictures at: https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/boa/ ... 61996.html