Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased a TI in May primarily for Lake Tahoe use. I called the CA DMV twice and got conflicting answers. I went to the local DMV office to register my trailer and Kayak. When I tried to register the Kayak they said it is not required. I told them about the conflicting information and they double checked and said it is not required.
If I get hassled at the Lake I will go to court and call witnesses from the DMV.
Due to the many conflicting jurisdictions It is highly unlikely I would ever get hassled at the Lake. The local gendarmes are more concerned with the tourists in rental boats and drunks out of control.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When I purchased my TI the dealer assured me that registration was not required in CA and most of the boats he sold were not registered. Shortly thereafter I was stopped on the water by harbor patrol for no registration on a sailboat and got a warning. Sure enough, CA requires sailing vessels over 8 feet to be registered. If you ever put up a sail you can get cited if no reg numbers. So I went to DMV and after explaining my situation to a few agents I got registered and titled. Then the county contacted me and charged for back property taxes! FYI you also will not pass a Coast Guard vessel exam (VSE) unless registered - they uphold state requirements.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Y'all seem to look for certainty that may not exist. What the actual laws say may be quite different from how even a well meaning bureaucrat summarizes them, and still different from how well meaning law enforcement customarily enforces them, and of course different from how idiosyncratic individuals enforce them.

Download your detailed state laws and reveal the ambiguity in many cases. I mean the endless pages of often contradictory legalese patched together over time. Not some boiled down summary which tries to construe logic out of an illiterate mishmash. State laws can be very amateurishly written and not up to national law standards.

So given quite a range of uncertainty, let's assume it's not worth going to court over it. You are welcome to play it safe and choose the most restrictive interpretation, but don't get all self righteous about prescribing that to others. A less restrictive interpretation may be in the interest of dealers, customers, and non-a-retentive law enforcement with higher priorities.

One thing I cannot forgive is when a law enforcement individual enforces personal preferences that have only the most far fetched basis in law. It's the "help desk syndrome" where constant contact with the most idiotic turns into assuming everyone is an idiot needing oversight. The law is supposed to be set up by democratic process, not the whimsy of enforcers, but unfortunately it is rarely clearcut.