Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sailing 2019 Mirage i14t
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have tried sailing my i14t a couple of times now in winds from 1-15 knots. When the wind gets above 8 or so knots, the boat will turn itself into the wind. It doesn’t have the rudder authority to hold the line. I am running the standard MD 180 kick up fins as well as the “large” rudder that came with it. When I had my Oasis, I didn’t have these issues, and had the upgraded sailing rudder and the turbo fins. Is there an upgrade path that I can follow to help with that? It’s not as exciting as sailing the Oasis in high winds and nowhere near as efficient of a hull, but still fun other than not being able to stop the boat turning into the wind.
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Have you tried raking the mast well forward? Do you have the fins straight down in the rear well only, pedals held together? Rear turbos should also help moving the pivot point back.

Weathervaning comes from stuff in the rear of the boat catching wind vs an underwater pivot point too far forward. More formally in the middle picture below the wind's center of effort is behind the water's center of lateral resistance. When your sail is let out there is also windvane effect from your sail pushing forward on one side.

Do you have any wind catching cargo that can be shifted way forward? Maybe you could make a jib for the front stay, or even restep the mast forward. Is it your body catching wind like the feathers of an arrow?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I have not tried raking it forward. I will try that. I have done rear fins, rear and front fins, and just front fins with no changes. There is no cargo in the back, my wife and I and no other cargo. I'll try to move the mast forward and also pick up a set of turbos for the back. My wife can keep her regular fins.
Thanks again,
Chris