Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Single Line Kite?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Is a single line kite at all helpful in say kayaking 45 degrees off downwind? I saw claims that the Power Sled 14 worked for this, and with Hobie rudder and fins maybe can exceed 45? It is a parafoil about 3x5', and strangely vanished from search engines shortly after I ordered one. I am aware of the steerable multi line options, but want to keep it simple. The deck mounted parachute gizmo won't work for me either.

Whoops, this guy traveled 4.5 mph straight downwind for hours with the kite and no paddling. Interesting he doesn't take it down at the end but can just barely overpower it by strong paddling.

Post subject: Re: Single Line Kite?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

5m kite pulling 2 kayaks:

Post subject: Re: Single Line Kite?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If anyone became interested, I can warn you that the supply chain for large one string kites is broken. Mostly out of stock or overpriced incl shipping. After much drama I was able order a parafoil in the (over) powered range of the second video. That is about 25 sq ft (per kayak), while it is more common to suggest the harder to find 8 to 14 range.

I am not using my steerable kites due to their power spikes. There was a how-to writeup sayng 45 degrees off the wind was feasible with a rudder, and mirage fins should only be a help. I was tempted by a ground skimming ring parachute, but worry it might sink?